1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy required to heat different materials?

1. Sep 21, 2011 #1
    Hello:) I am doing thermal physics at the moment, and am up to the part on specific heat capacity. I know that the equation Q=mc[itex]\Delta[/itex]T refers to the amount of energy required to raise the temperature by 1 degree celcius, but im just a bit confused about how the energy is calculated. For example, if i have a 10kg block of marble with specific heat capacity of 600, and i want to know how much energy is required to increase the temperature by 1 degree celcius, and i do: Q=(10)(600)(1), and my final answer is 6,000, is it in joules, because its energy? Also, if i want to know how much energy is required to DECREASE the temperature by 1 degree celcius, do i do Q=(10)(600)(-1)?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2011 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi J-Girl,

The specific heat capacity 'c' is defined as the energy needed to heat 1 g (or maybe 1 kg) of material by 1°C. As a result, it has dimensions of energy per unit mass and per unit temperature. This corresponds to units of J/(g°C) or J/(kg°C). You need to find out which of these two options are the units your stated c value of "600" is in.

But, you can see that with these units, everything will work out as needed -- from the equation, Q will turn out to be in joules.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook