Energy Secretary Steven Chu Not to Serve a Second Term

  • Topic: News 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Term
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
66 replies · 16K views
Mute said:
Was it an old episode of the radio show, or were they airing an old interview? If not, then I have some bad news about Neil Armstrong which you may not have heard yet...

I believe they mentioned that also. Neil, the live one, mentioned that it will be a really sad day when the last human who had walked on the moon had died. We've done some interesting things since, but we are a species entranced with exploring. We cannot just sit here, on this semi-full planet, and whine about taxes.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:

I have decided that Mr. Moniz is more than acceptable for the position:

Moniz, 68, received a BSc in physics from Boston College in 1966 before being awarded a PhD in theoretical physics from Stanford University in 1972. He then joined MIT a year later, serving as head of the department from 1991 to 1995.

Unlike Chu when he took over the role of US energy secretary four years ago, Moniz has direct experience of Washington. Under the administration of Bill Clinton, he served as associate director for science in the Office of Science and Technology Policy from 1995 to 1997 and spent the next four years as under-secretary of energy in the DOE. "Physics sometimes looked easy compared to doing the people's business," he noted about his role in office in an interview in 2009 with Boston College. Moniz then returned to MIT and in 2006 became the first director of the MIT Energy Initiative.

06/05/2004 2:30 PM KresgeErnest Moniz, Director, MIT Energy Initiative; Dean Kamen, Founder, DEKA ResearchDescription: As an energy source, oil is hard to beat. In spite of reports to the contrary, there's still lots of it available 1 trillion barrels and the cost of extracting and harnessing it for use in transportation and industry is cheap. But, Ernest Moniz reminds us, the energy equation needs to include some important new factors: insecurity of supply and environmental stewardship. The price and convenience of fossil fuels decreases quickly when you take into account the costs of global warming and ensuring stability in the Middle East. If the U.S. ever develops a serious energy policy, says Moniz, here are some key objectives: ...

And he has great hair.
Great scientists need great hair.
He also has a nice smile.
I like him 100%

PW-2013-03-05-Moniz.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah, the hair does it for me. He's in.
 
Evo said:
Oh yeah, the hair does it for me. He's in.

:smile:
 
Yay!

Apparently Prof. Chu has some spare time on his hands.
He's coming to where I work to give a lecture this month.
Only employees can go.

Ha ha! Sucks to be you!

I'm going.

:smile:9
 
OmCheeto said:
Professor Chu has entered the room. :smile:

Kind of boring. I knew nearly everything he talked about.

The fun though started about 20 minutes ago when I brought out Linus Pauling's 1935 book; "Introduction to Quantum Physics", which I'd intended him to sign, but my bartender went off on De Broglie, and then the bar erupted in a total nerdiness.

(They are now discussing computer programming.)

Life is good.

ps. De Broglie would have made a great Energy Secretary also, based on:
1. Crazy Hair
2. Huge Brain!

180px-Broglie_Big.jpg

I do believe my bartender was the one who told me quite a while ago that Einstein looked at Louis's paper, and said; "Give this kid a PhD!"