Energy stored and # turns in an MRI machine (solenoid)

In summary, MRI is a medical technique that uses a solenoid with a 5.0 T magnetic field created by a 100 A current cooled with liquid helium to produce detailed images of the body's interior. The formula U = 0.5LI2 and N = l/d can be used to calculate the energy stored in the magnetic field and the number of turns needed. However, getting an exact answer may be difficult without making assumptions about the field's uniformity.
Linus Pauling
1. MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) is a medical technique that produces detailed "pictures" of the interior of the body. The patient is placed into a solenoid that is 40 cm in diameter and 1.0 m long. A 100 A current creates a 5.0 T magnetic field inside the solenoid. To carry such a large current, the solenoid wires are cooled with liquid helium until they become superconducting (no electric resistance).

2.U = 0.5LI2
N = l/d

3. L = flux/I = AB/I = 0.00628H
U = 0.5LI2 = 31.4H

N = l/d = 2.5 turns

Am I getting this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this correct?

Ok, I now know that 31.4H is incorrect. Can someone explain what I'm doing wrong?

Any suggestions?

I see no way to get an exact answer from the information you have provided but you can get close. You can calculate the energy stored in the magnetic field, if you make assumptions about the field (e.g., the field is uniform throughout the solenoid). Your inductance formula then gives the number of turns.

1. What is the purpose of using a solenoid in an MRI machine?

A solenoid is used in an MRI machine to create a strong and uniform magnetic field, which is necessary for the machine to produce accurate images of the body's tissues and organs.

2. How is energy stored in a solenoid in an MRI machine?

The energy in a solenoid is stored in the form of a magnetic field. When an electric current is passed through the solenoid, it creates a magnetic field that is used to align the hydrogen atoms in the body, which then produce the signals that are used to create images in an MRI.

3. What factors affect the amount of energy stored in a solenoid in an MRI machine?

The amount of energy stored in a solenoid depends on the number of turns in the coil, the strength of the electric current passing through it, and the material and size of the core inside the coil.

4. How does the number of turns in a solenoid affect the energy stored in an MRI machine?

The more turns in a solenoid, the stronger the magnetic field it can produce, which means more energy can be stored in the magnetic field. This results in better image quality and sensitivity in an MRI machine.

5. Can the energy stored in a solenoid in an MRI machine be adjusted?

Yes, the energy stored in a solenoid can be adjusted by changing the strength of the electric current passing through it. This can be done by adjusting the voltage of the power supply connected to the solenoid.