Energy stored and # turns in an MRI machine (solenoid)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 7K views
Linus Pauling
Messages
187
Reaction score
0
1. MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) is a medical technique that produces detailed "pictures" of the interior of the body. The patient is placed into a solenoid that is 40 cm in diameter and 1.0 m long. A 100 A current creates a 5.0 T magnetic field inside the solenoid. To carry such a large current, the solenoid wires are cooled with liquid helium until they become superconducting (no electric resistance).



2.U = 0.5LI2
N = l/d




3. L = flux/I = AB/I = 0.00628H
U = 0.5LI2 = 31.4H

N = l/d = 2.5 turns

Am I getting this right?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I now know that 31.4H is incorrect. Can someone explain what I'm doing wrong?
 
I see no way to get an exact answer from the information you have provided but you can get close. You can calculate the energy stored in the magnetic field, if you make assumptions about the field (e.g., the field is uniform throughout the solenoid). Your inductance formula then gives the number of turns.