Energy, time and length corresponding to mass of electron.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
H_Psi
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hey,
I am starting to learn the basics of QED and I am trying to get acquainted with the units and scales that are used.

Homework Equations


The exercise is to estimate the energy, time and length that correspond to the mass of an electron.

The Attempt at a Solution



That’s what I did:
The mass of an electron is 9.11E-31 kg.

Energy:
E=mc^2 gives me an energy of 0.511MeV.

Length:
Here I used the equation: c * hbar = 197 MeV * fm
-> 386fm = c * hbar / (0.511MeV)
-> In natural units: 386fm = 1 / (0.511MeV)

Time:
Here I used the equation: hbar = 6.58E-22 MeV * s
-> 1.288E-21 s = hbar / (0.511MeV)
-> In natural units: 1.288E-21 s = 1 / (0.511MeV)


Is this calculation correct? Is that the way one can calculate the length and time corresponding to a mass?
Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Makes sense, but I'd take a look at the equation you used to find the length. Do you really want to be using the reduced Planck constant (hbar) there, or simply the Planck constant (2*pi*hbar)? You can look up the de Broglie wavelength of an electron, and you'll see your value is a bit small.
 
That depends on the convention, right? For instance, in Peskin, the convention is to use hbar as the base unit (of action). I don't recall seeing anyone use just plane h as the base unit, but it is just a convention.