Energy to Increase Orbital Radius

In summary, the problem involves an Earth satellite of mass m in a circular orbit of radius r1 being moved to a larger orbit with radius r2 by way of an intermediate elliptical orbit. The total mechanical energy for each of the three orbits needs to be determined, as well as the energy increase for each orbit transfer. Equations related to specific mechanical energy and elliptical orbits may be helpful in solving this problem.
omegas

Homework Statement

An Earth (mass M) satellite of mass m is in a circular orbit of radius r1. It is moved to an orbit with a larger radius r2 by way of an intermediate elliptical orbit. This is achieved by firing rockets for a short period when it is in the inner orbit, and then firing the rocket again when it has reached the maximum distance from M. Determine the total mechanical energy for each of the three orbits and the energy increase for each orbit transfer.

Homework Equations

I was not given any equations for this problem or any hints to what equations I need. I had a guess at using
F = GMm/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am completely lost on this one. I know I am supposed to equate some equations, but I don't know which ones or how to go about it. I am sure somethings cancel out somewhere. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You may want to search for "Hohmann transfer orbit". If you want to derive the energy yourself, you should find some equations in your textbook that relates the specific mechanical energy (also known as orbital energy) with the position and speed of a particle in an elliptical orbit. Alternatively you can search for "elliptic orbit" and see if you can find something related to energy.

What is "Energy to Increase Orbital Radius"?

"Energy to Increase Orbital Radius" refers to the amount of energy required to move an object, such as a satellite or planet, into a higher orbit around a central body, such as a planet or star. This energy can come from various sources, such as propellant or gravitational assist maneuvers.

How is the energy to increase orbital radius calculated?

The energy to increase orbital radius is calculated using the formula: E = -GmM/2r, where E is the energy, G is the gravitational constant, m and M are the masses of the orbiting object and central body respectively, and r is the current orbital radius. This equation takes into account the gravitational potential energy of the system.

Can the energy to increase orbital radius be negative?

Yes, the energy to increase orbital radius can be negative. This indicates that the object has enough kinetic energy to escape the gravitational pull of the central body and move into a higher orbit or even leave the orbit altogether.

What factors affect the energy required to increase orbital radius?

The energy required to increase orbital radius is affected by the mass of the orbiting object and the central body, the distance between them, and the speed at which the object is moving. Other factors, such as atmospheric drag and the gravitational influence of other objects, can also play a role.

How is the energy to increase orbital radius used in space exploration?

The energy to increase orbital radius plays a crucial role in space exploration, as it determines the amount of energy needed to move spacecraft and satellites into different orbits. This energy is carefully calculated and used in various maneuvers, such as orbital transfers, to reach different destinations and achieve specific objectives in space missions.