Engine Development: What do I need?

• Thread starter Jase W
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engine
In summary, the person is interested in a career in two stroke engine technology and is considering options. They are enrolled in a math and science course to raise their skill level and are looking for a career that will allow them to work with two stroke engines. They are thinking about a degree in mechanical engineering but are also interested in gaining practical experience. After completing their degree, they plan to work for a two stroke manufacturer.
Jase W
Hello,
Currently I work as a retail store manager, a career that I find tolerable but I do not love. I have always been interested in math, physics and mechanics, however recently this interest has grown as I have been doing a full engine rebuild on my race bike. I have realized that working on bikes/cars (particularly two strokes) is something that I love doing, and after discovering that companies are still furthering two stroke technology (Orbital & Bombardier would be the most prominent) I have decided to start moving towards a career that would see me eventually involved in furthering two stroke engine technology.

I have enrolled in a math & science course in order to bring my skill up to undergrad level (I kinda bombed out in maths towards the end of high school - something I regret now), but the real question I have is where to go from there?

I figure that a degree in a mechanical engineering is an essential (correct?), but I also want to make sure that I don't miss out on the practical skills of machining/welding/etc as the last time I did anything like that was early high school, and I have long since forgotten what I learned there. Also I am a very hands-on person as well as being interested in the theory. As well as the math & science course I am reading some two stroke 'canon' in order to learn as much as I can.

Should I go straight into a mechincal engineering degree? Or should I see about getting some practical experience first? Perhaps doing an automotive or engineering pre trade course?

Physics news on Phys.org
Go to your local CC (Community College) and start the process towards a Mechanical Engineering degree. After you learn some CAD, get a part-time job (even a few hours - perhaps unpaid) at a machine shop. This will get you some raw exposure to fabrication - and insight about the differences between "what's possible" at a computer and "what's possible" at a lathe or milling machine. When you finish your degree go work for a 2-stroke manufacturer to get some experience and exposure to your specific application.

Having the book smarts and hands-on experience will provide a great foundation.

Cheers :)

What is engine development?

Engine development is the process of designing, building, and optimizing engines for various purposes, such as transportation, power generation, or industrial machinery.

What are the main components of an engine?

The main components of an engine include the block, pistons, cylinders, crankshaft, valves, and camshaft. Other important components include the fuel system, ignition system, cooling system, and lubrication system.

What skills are necessary for engine development?

Engine development requires a combination of technical knowledge, problem-solving skills, and attention to detail. Some key skills include mechanical engineering, mathematics, computer-aided design (CAD), and knowledge of materials and manufacturing processes.

What tools and resources are needed for engine development?

Engine development often involves specialized tools and equipment, such as dynamometers, flow benches, and engine simulation software. Additionally, access to a well-equipped workshop or laboratory is necessary for building and testing engines.

What are some common challenges in engine development?

Some common challenges in engine development include balancing performance, efficiency, and emissions, as well as managing costs and meeting regulatory requirements. Another challenge is the constant evolution of technology, which requires continuous learning and adaptation in order to stay competitive.