1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engine Development: What do I need?

1. Jul 18, 2009 #1
    Hello,
    Currently I work as a retail store manager, a career that I find tolerable but I do not love. I have always been interested in math, physics and mechanics, however recently this interest has grown as I have been doing a full engine rebuild on my race bike. I have realised that working on bikes/cars (particularly two strokes) is something that I love doing, and after discovering that companies are still furthering two stroke technology (Orbital & Bombardier would be the most prominent) I have decided to start moving towards a career that would see me eventually involved in furthering two stroke engine technology.

I have enrolled in a math & science course in order to bring my skill up to undergrad level (I kinda bombed out in maths towards the end of high school - something I regret now), but the real question I have is where to go from there?

I figure that a degree in a mechanical engineering is an essential (correct?), but I also want to make sure that I don't miss out on the practical skills of machining/welding/etc as the last time I did anything like that was early high school, and I have long since forgotten what I learnt there. Also I am a very hands-on person as well as being interested in the theory. As well as the math & science course I am reading some two stroke 'canon' in order to learn as much as I can.

Should I go straight into a mechincal engineering degree? Or should I see about getting some practical experience first? Perhaps doing an automotive or engineering pre trade course?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2009 #2
    Go to your local CC (Community College) and start the process towards a Mechanical Engineering degree. After you learn some CAD, get a part-time job (even a few hours - perhaps unpaid) at a machine shop. This will get you some raw exposure to fabrication - and insight about the differences between "what's possible" at a computer and "what's possible" at a lathe or milling machine. When you finish your degree go work for a 2-stroke manufacturer to get some experience and exposure to your specific application.

Having the book smarts and hands-on experience will provide a great foundation.

4. Jul 20, 2009 #3
    Cheers :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook