1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Economy: Tricky fixed cost problem

1. Apr 30, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    John pays $500 to a tailor for a regular supply of new shirts. The tailor delivers 5 black shirts. He next wants to purchase 10 red shirts at the contract rate of $11 per shirt. For the black and the red shirts together, what are the fixed and variable cost of the shirts? John's discount rate is 12%.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Hi! So I'm having a lot of trouble with this problem. The first time I attempted this problem I assumed that the fixed cost was $500 and tried applying the discount rate to the $11 per red shirt and multiplying by 10. This was completely wrong. I think the discount rate is thrown in there to confuse me.
    What I'm supposed to do is find two data points and then use y=mx+b to find the fixed and variable cost. But how do I find the data points?

Can I just do this?:

($500,5) ($110,10) (I multiplied 10*$11)

But I think this gives me a negative marginal cost... Which means this is wrong also.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2015 #2
    I agree that the discount rate is not applicable here.

I think you have the right idea assuming a linear variable cost relationship. Just need to plug in the right numbers.

At the end of the day, what is the total money spent by John?

4. Apr 30, 2015 #3
    Is $610 the total amount spent?

5. Apr 30, 2015 #4
    At the end of the day it is, right?

6. Apr 30, 2015 #5
    I think so! So my data points are ($500,5) and ($610, 15)?

7. Apr 30, 2015 #6
    You got it!

8. Apr 30, 2015 #7
    Awesome!! Thanks so much!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted