Engineering Graduate School Acceptance for Math Majors?

In summary, the person is a math major who will finish all requirements by the end of the term, but still has one year left before graduating. They are considering going to graduate school for engineering, but are unsure if they will be accepted since they have not taken any engineering courses. However, engineering grad schools do accept math majors and the person should speak to engineering professors at their school and potentially take some engineering courses and get involved in research. They have a meeting with an advisor later in the week to discuss further.
cap.r
hey, so I am going to be done with all the requirements of a math major by the end of this term and have another year left. I can't graduate cause I don't have enough credits. I don't think I want to go to graduate school for math and am considering going to graduate school for engineering.

now will I be ok? will i even be considered? I have done some physics but no engineering courses. Should I spend the next year on engineering courses?

basic question is will an engineering graduate school accept a math major in their program? I mean I looked into law school and they don't care what your background is, everyone starts fresh. but is it the same with engineering?

Physics news on Phys.org
Engineering grad schools definitely take on math majors. It may not be as easy to get accepted, I have no idea, and you will probably have to take undergrad courses wherever you go. You should talk to some engineering professors at your school to see what you should do. Maybe take a few engineering courses and try to get involved with a professor who does analytical or computation research.

I am meeting an advisor later this week. any important questions I should ask?

Related to Engineering Graduate School Acceptance for Math Majors?

What are the requirements for admission to an engineering graduate school?

The specific requirements for admission vary depending on the school and program, but generally, applicants must have a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field, a strong academic record, and competitive scores on standardized tests such as the GRE. Many programs also require letters of recommendation and a statement of purpose.

How long does it take to complete an engineering graduate program?

The length of an engineering graduate program can vary, but most programs take 1-2 years to complete. Some programs may offer accelerated or part-time options, which can affect the length of time it takes to finish the program. Additionally, if a student chooses to pursue a research-based thesis or dissertation, it may take longer to complete the program.

What is the difference between a master's and a PhD in engineering?

A master's degree in engineering is typically a shorter program that focuses on coursework and may include a research-based thesis. A PhD program in engineering is longer and more research-intensive, with a greater emphasis on original research and contributing to the field through publications and presentations.

What are some popular specializations within engineering graduate programs?

Some popular specializations within engineering graduate programs include electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, civil engineering, computer engineering, and biomedical engineering. Other emerging fields such as sustainability engineering, data science, and nanotechnology are also gaining popularity.

What career opportunities are available for graduates of engineering graduate programs?

Graduates of engineering graduate programs have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. They can work in industries such as aerospace, automotive, construction, energy, and technology. They can also pursue careers in research and development, academia, and government agencies. Graduates with advanced degrees in engineering are in high demand and can often command higher salaries than those with only a bachelor's degree.