1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other Engineering Technology to Engineering graduate school?

1. May 15, 2016 #1
    Hello all, a friend of mine is considering switching to an engineering technology degree but still plans to attend graduate school for engineering. This just got me thinking, what would the draw backs be? How easy or hard would it be for someone in a engineering technology program to go to graduate school for engineering? Since the technology programs tend to be more focused on "hands on, rather than theoretical", how would this lack of theoretical backing effect your preparedness for graduate school? Are the undergraduate degrees usually that different in material covered from one another, other than one perhaps being more "cut and dry" than the other? For example: met vs me or eet vs ee, and etc etc. I am not very familiar with the technology programs, so I apologize if my notions are incorrect. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2016 #2

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well for one, the technology programs generally have a lot less math, and their versions of core courses therefore feature far less math. This is going to negatively impact preparedness for engineering graduate programs, and pretty substantially, at that. I would imagine that at most programs it would be disqualifying as well without some kind of extenuating circumstances and/or additional math background.

4. May 15, 2016 #3
    So in most cases they wouldn't even be able to get into the program to begin with? Something my friend definitely needs to look into then.

5. May 15, 2016 #4

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I mean, I don't make admissions decisions, but if I am looking to hire a graduate student as a professor, someone who never had to take differential equations and whose core classes didn't rely on differential equations is not going to be very high on my list.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted