Engineering Technology to Engineering graduate school?

In summary, switching from an engineering technology degree to graduate school for engineering may have drawbacks due to the lack of theoretical background in technology programs. These programs tend to have less math, which can negatively impact preparedness for graduate programs. Without additional math background or extenuating circumstances, this may even be disqualifying for admission into some programs.
CaptainAtom1996
Hello all, a friend of mine is considering switching to an engineering technology degree but still plans to attend graduate school for engineering. This just got me thinking, what would the draw backs be? How easy or hard would it be for someone in a engineering technology program to go to graduate school for engineering? Since the technology programs tend to be more focused on "hands on, rather than theoretical", how would this lack of theoretical backing effect your preparedness for graduate school? Are the undergraduate degrees usually that different in material covered from one another, other than one perhaps being more "cut and dry" than the other? For example: met vs me or eet vs ee, and etc etc. I am not very familiar with the technology programs, so I apologize if my notions are incorrect. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well for one, the technology programs generally have a lot less math, and their versions of core courses therefore feature far less math. This is going to negatively impact preparedness for engineering graduate programs, and pretty substantially, at that. I would imagine that at most programs it would be disqualifying as well without some kind of extenuating circumstances and/or additional math background.

Likes CaptainAtom1996
boneh3ad said:
Well for one, the technology programs generally have a lot less math, and their versions of core courses therefore feature far less math. This is going to negatively impact preparedness for engineering graduate programs, and pretty substantially, at that. I would imagine that at most programs it would be disqualifying as well without some kind of extenuating circumstances and/or additional math background.
So in most cases they wouldn't even be able to get into the program to begin with? Something my friend definitely needs to look into then.

I mean, I don't make admissions decisions, but if I am looking to hire a graduate student as a professor, someone who never had to take differential equations and whose core classes didn't rely on differential equations is not going to be very high on my list.

Likes CaptainAtom1996

What is the difference between Engineering Technology and Engineering?

Engineering Technology focuses on the practical application of engineering principles and the development of technical skills, while Engineering emphasizes theoretical concepts and the design of new systems and structures.

What are the admission requirements for Engineering Technology graduate programs?

The specific admission requirements may vary depending on the school and program, but generally, a bachelor's degree in a related field, such as engineering technology or a related science, is required. Some programs may also require specific coursework or a minimum GPA.

What kind of career opportunities are available for graduates of Engineering Technology graduate programs?

Graduates of Engineering Technology graduate programs can pursue a variety of career paths, including roles in research and development, product design, project management, and technical sales. They may also work in industries such as manufacturing, construction, or transportation.

What skills and knowledge will I gain from an Engineering Technology graduate program?

Engineering Technology graduate programs typically focus on developing technical skills and knowledge in areas such as manufacturing processes, materials science, computer-aided design, and project management. Students also gain hands-on experience through laboratory work and projects.

Is it possible to transition from Engineering Technology graduate school to a Ph.D. program in Engineering?

While it is possible to transition from an Engineering Technology graduate program to a Ph.D. program in Engineering, it may require additional coursework or research experience. It is important to research the specific requirements and prerequisites for your desired Ph.D. program before applying.