1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering jobs for a naturalized US citizen

1. Apr 12, 2017 #1
    I want to obtain a mechanical engineering degree and work in a respective field in USA. But I will be looking for ME jobs as a naturalized US citizen (I am from Europe, but will soon become US citizen). I heard that it would be harder for me to find a job as any kind of engineer because I can't/don't have a security clearance as a consequence of haven't been born in USA. In fact someone tried to discourage me form pursuing this career, saying that I wont be as hireable as naturally born engineers because employers prefer the kind of engineers that can work on a variety of projects and some of them may require security clearance. Question: is this claim valid? And if so, to what degree? Should I still pursue mechanical engineering, or some other? Thank you in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2017 #2

Randy Beikmann

Gold Member

Many (maybe most) jobs don't require a security clearance. I work in the automotive field, and there are plenty of foreign-born mechanical engineers here. Many were not even citizens when they hired in.

If you want to work in the defense industry, every applicant goes through a security clearance. I can't speak to the impact of foreign birth on that. I'm sure it's a factor, but how much?

4. Apr 13, 2017 #3
    I worked for the US Navy, and we had a lot of foreign born engineers. We were so lucky as to even have one from Iran who turned out to be a spy! But, he had a security clearance anyway. Foreign birth in not an insurmountable barrier to US security clearance.

What Randy said about many jobs not requiring a clearance is also true. So, don't let your birthplace stop you.

5. Apr 13, 2017 #4
    I think rarely will a naturalized citizen have any issues, if at all. I am naturalized and all I get asked is if I am a citizen. But to make sure, you do mean naturalized citizen vs a resident alien, you don't "just become" naturalized.

6. Apr 18, 2017 #5
    I know a lot of foreign-born engineers. I think you would be surprised about how many foreign-born engineers work in the U.S.A. Look up some data on it, if you must.
    As far as the guy who told you not to pursue a career in mechanical engineering, I would avoid people like him/her. Pursue the career that you find most rewarding. For me and many others, that is mechanical engineering. I have dealt with people trying to discourage me from it as well, but I ignored them. I can't do anything else. I've never seriously thought about doing anything else.

It doesn't matter where you were born. If you were born to be a mechanical engineer, then get into the field.

7. Apr 18, 2017 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Where did you get the idea that the overwhelming majority of jobs in the US require such security clearance?

Zz.

8. May 13, 2017 #7
    Thank you all for your kind responses. I would like to add, after doing more personal research regarding the subject matter, the source of citizenship does not play any role in qualification or disqualification of obtaining a security clearance. I found it on FAQ of ClearanceJobs.com. The individual who insisted that it was the case was simply wrong.

9. May 14, 2017 #8

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

To be clear, only US Citizens native or naturalized can get a security clearance if sponsored by a company,or government entity. You can't apply for it yourself:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted