References to Probability & Statistics for Engineers

In summary, the conversation is about finding an introductory reference for self-study on Probability and Statistics. The person is looking for an undergraduate level text that covers the basics to an advanced level, with a focus on probability and a brief introduction to statistics. They prefer a book that is practical and not overly complex. The conversation ends with recommendations for two books, "Understanding Probability" by Tijms and "Schaums Outline Of Probability" by Seymour Lipschutz, as well as a personal favorite, "Introduction to Probability Models" by Sheldon Ross.
Soumalya
I am looking for an introductory reference to the subjects 'Probability and Statistics' intended to be used for self study.By an introductory reference I mean an undergraduate level text that would teach me the subjects from the very basic to an advanced level.I wish to focus primarily on probability even though a brief introduction to statistics would be a bonus in a single textbook.

Please note that I am not looking for a text that deals with some unnecessary mathematical complexities or some rigorous analysis as would the requirements for a student of pure mathematics.Rather I would be satisfied with a book primarily dedicated to engineers or scientists that would teach the subject well enough for practical life applications.In case there happens to be a text that was not penned exclusively focusing upon the requirements of engineers or scientists but is appropriate enough to be used as a reference please feel free to recommend.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest getting two books: "Understanding Probability" by Tijms and "Schaums Outline Of Probability" by Seymour Lipschutz. The Shaums outline series shows how to work "textbook" problems. The biggest problem people have in applying probability and statistics to real life problems is understanding the nature of probability, not finding a formula for something once they understand what they are after. So I recommend the Tijms book as an aid to understanding.

Likes Soumalya
Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Mr Write and Soumalya

1. What is the importance of probability and statistics for engineers?

Probability and statistics are essential for engineers because they provide a framework for understanding and analyzing data in order to make informed decisions. Engineers use these concepts to design experiments, analyze data, and make predictions about the behavior of systems or processes.

2. How are probability and statistics used in engineering?

Probability and statistics are used in engineering to understand and quantify uncertainty, assess risk, and make predictions about the behavior of systems. Engineers also use statistical methods to analyze data and make decisions based on evidence rather than intuition.

3. Can you give an example of how probability and statistics are applied in engineering?

One example of how probability and statistics are applied in engineering is in quality control. Engineers use statistical techniques to monitor and control the quality of products or processes, ensuring that they meet certain specifications and standards.

4. How can engineers use probability and statistics to improve their designs?

Engineers can use probability and statistics to analyze data from previous designs, identify patterns and trends, and make informed decisions about how to improve future designs. This allows for a more efficient and effective design process.

5. What are some common misconceptions about probability and statistics in engineering?

One common misconception is that probability and statistics are only important for engineers working in certain fields, such as manufacturing or quality control. In reality, all engineers can benefit from understanding these concepts and applying them to their work. Another misconception is that probability and statistics are too difficult to understand and apply, but with proper training and practice, these concepts can be easily mastered by engineers.