Engineering, Statics -- A pulley is free to move on the cable

In summary, the homework statement is attempting to solve for the location of point B as a function of d, but is still confused about how to calculate the angle of the cable and the resultant force needed to maintain equilibrium.
TimmyJ1203

Homework Statement

1. Pulley B is free to move on the cable ABC which is fastened at A and being pulled by force F through the pulley C. Neglecting friction:
a. Determine location of point B as a function of d.
b. Express the force F required to maintain equilibrium in terms of P, d, and h.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to even start. I thought about creating an FBD of the weight hanging on the cable for part b, but I can't figure out how to tie that to h and d.

Attachments

• Problem.png
    Problem.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 535
  • Problem.png
    Problem.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 506
Physics news on Phys.org
A FBD of the weight is a good start. h and d define the angle of the cable which gives the angle of the force for the FBD of the weight.

Attempt a FBD and we can go from there.

billy_joule said:
A FBD of the weight is a good start. h and d define the angle of the cable which gives the angle of the force for the FBD of the weight.

Attempt a FBD and we can go from there.

OH, okay, I'll try this. There are four problems after this one that I did no problem.

Not sure why I didn't see that.. I'll work on it a bit. Thank you.

Okay, so I tried drawing a FBD of point B, but I'm still not sure how to equate the measurements.

My friend recently mentioned to me that the pulley may be hanging directly in the middle of the cable. If that's the case I can use the tangent value of alpha to put d/2 and h in it, but I'm still not sure how to write point B as a location.

In the picture i just uploaded is theta supposed to be equal to beta? If they're related, then I don't see how theta affects the amount of force needed to keep the system in equilibrium.

Attachments

• Problem.png
    Problem.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 520
TimmyJ1203 said:
Okay, so I tried drawing a FBD of point B, but I'm still not sure how to equate the measurements.

My friend recently mentioned to me that the pulley may be hanging directly in the middle of the cable. If that's the case I can use the tangent value of alpha to put d/2 and h in it, but I'm still not sure how to write point B as a location.

In the picture i just uploaded is theta supposed to be equal to beta? If they're related, then I don't see how theta affects the amount of force needed to keep the system in equilibrium.
At equilibrium B will be at d/2.
Theta is not equal to alpha, draw some right angle triangles to find their relationship. What do the angles of triangles add to?
Separate F and F dash into their horizontal and vertical components to find their magnitude in terms of P and theta **.(**EDIT: beta or alpha, not theta)

Last edited:
But is theta equal to beta? I just realized that I didn't include my updated drawing.
I named the angle, that is adjacent to theta, beta.

Attachments

• Problem1.png
    Problem1.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 495
No, theta is a fixed and not relevant to your calculations, I'm not sure why it's included on the diagram.
Beta is a function of h and d.

Last edited:
Sorry.. I used the word adjacent incorrectly. Here is what I drew so far.

I still don't understand how beta can be related to theta. I'm attempting to imagine the pulley setup, and it seems like no matter what angle theta is, the forces F and F' will be equal and unaffected.

Attachments

• Problem2.png
    Problem2.png
    35.3 KB · Views: 476
TimmyJ1203 said:
Sorry.. I used the word adjacent incorrectly. Here is what I drew so far.

I still don't understand how beta can be related to theta. I'm attempting to imagine the pulley setup, and it seems like no matter what angle theta is, the forces F and F' will be equal and unaffected.
You are correct - In post #5 I should have said alpha or beta, not theta. I've edited in a correction.

Okay, so this is what I got so far:

F_x = F * sin(α)
F_y = F * cos(α)

F'_x = F * sin(α)
F'_y = F * cos(α)

P_x = 0
P_y = P

ΣF_x = Fsinα - Fsinα = 0
0 = 0

ΣF_y = Fcosα + cosα - P = 0
2Fcosα = P
F = P/(2cosα)

I know I'm somehow supposed to substitute cosα for known values but all I can think of to substitute it with is h/l. Lower case L being the unknown.
I'm still also not sure how to determine the location of point B as a function of d.

1. What is statics in engineering?

Statics is a branch of engineering that deals with the study and analysis of stationary objects and systems. It involves the application of mechanics to understand and predict the behavior of stationary structures under the influence of external forces.

2. How does a pulley work?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope, cable, or belt that runs through the groove. When a force is applied to one end of the rope, the pulley will rotate, allowing the weight or load to be lifted or moved with less effort.

3. What is the purpose of a pulley?

The main purpose of a pulley is to change the direction of a force or to reduce the amount of force needed to lift or move a heavy object. It can also be used to transmit power or to create mechanical advantage in various systems.

4. How does a free-moving pulley affect the tension in the cable?

In a free-moving pulley, the tension in the cable remains constant throughout the entire length of the cable. This is because the load is distributed evenly between the two sides of the pulley, and the pulley itself does not add any extra tension to the cable.

5. What are some common applications of pulleys in engineering?

Pulleys have a wide range of applications in engineering, including lifting and moving heavy objects, transferring power in various machines and vehicles, and creating mechanical advantage in systems such as cranes, elevators, and conveyor belts. They are also commonly used in exercise equipment and in the construction of bridges and buildings.