Engineering statics: Truss Analysis Question

In summary, the conversation revolves around determining whether members BE and CE are zero force members. The rules for identifying zero force members are discussed and it is determined that BE and CE are both zero force members. The conversation also touches on resolving forces and calculating member forces.
narutoish

Homework Statement

So I was working on this problem, and my only questions are wether BE and CE can be assumed to be no force members? Also if I am not sure a member is a no force member, will it be revealed once I do the calculations,

Homework Equations

ΣF = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I just need clarification on my questions, I can do the rest .

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 474
Physics news on Phys.org
Remember the rules which apply to zero force members. These are:

1. If a joint contains three members with no external forces and two of the members are collinear with the third member connected from the joint, then the third member has an internal force of zero.
2. If two members aren't collinear and there are no supports or external forces acting on the joint connecting these members, then both members have an internal force of zero.
3. If two collinear members are connected by a joint and one member is known to have an internal force of zero, then the other member also has an internal force of zero.

With this in my mind, are members BE and CE zero force members?

Well rule 1 appies to both BE and CE so I am going to say they are?

Joint C has a force of 500 lbs acting on it, it can't be a zero force member.

oh yes makes sense, but but BE is, correct?

Ok so when I calculate it I am getting a really small number for CE which is leading me to think it is a zero force member.

Honestly, I'm not sure. The way I would do it is just try and resolve the forces in the members. If BE is a zero force member, then you can calculate it to have a force of zero.

1. What is engineering statics?

Engineering statics is a branch of engineering that deals with the analysis of forces acting on stationary objects. It involves using mathematical equations and principles to calculate and predict the behavior of structures and systems under different loading conditions.

2. What is truss analysis in engineering statics?

Truss analysis is a method used to determine the internal forces and stresses within a truss structure. This involves breaking down a complex truss into smaller, simpler parts and using equilibrium equations to solve for the unknown forces at each joint.

3. What is the purpose of truss analysis?

The purpose of truss analysis is to ensure that a truss structure can safely withstand the loads and forces it will experience in real-world conditions. It helps engineers determine the appropriate size and placement of truss members to prevent structural failures.

4. What are some common types of truss structures?

Some common types of truss structures include the Pratt truss, Warren truss, and Howe truss. These are all variations of the basic triangular truss design and are used in different applications depending on their load-bearing capabilities and aesthetic appeal.

5. How is truss analysis used in real-world engineering projects?

Truss analysis is used in a wide range of engineering projects, including bridges, roofs, and cranes. It helps engineers design and construct safe and efficient structures that can withstand the forces they will experience in their intended use. Truss analysis is also used in the maintenance and inspection of existing structures to ensure their continued safety and functionality.