Engineering Statistics Question

In summary, if a person tests negative for a disease, the probability that the person actually has the disease is .0049.
wolfmanzak

Homework Statement

The proportion of people in a given community who have a certain disease is 0.005. A test is available to diagnose the disease. If a person has the disease, the probability that the test will produce a positive signal is 0.98. If a person does not have the disease, the probability that the test will produce a positive signal is 0.02.

If a person tests negative, what is the probability that the person actually has the disease?

Homework Equations

I'm at a loss for the relevant equation. I've scanned through my book several times.

The Attempt at a Solution

I set the problem up as follows:
Given the following:
Probability that one has the disease: P(D)=.005
Probability that given one has the disease, they test positive: P(+|D)=0.98
Probability that given one does not have the disease, they test positive: P(+|D^c)=.02

I've used the notation P(-) for test is negative which is equal to P(+^c)

I'm trying to find P(D|-) based on the problem statement. I can't find any way to relate this to what I've been given. The solution says to use P(+|D^c)P(D)=.02*.005=1.0E-4 but I have no idea where that relation came from or where to find a proof of such online.

If anyone could explain to me why P(D|-)=P(+|D^c)P(D) it would really help my understanding of the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I agree with the answer at least. Intuitive word explanation: Trying to find how many people who actually have the disease are missed. We know .005 are diseased. If you could test that group, .98*.005=.0049 would be confirmed. (1-.98)*.005=.0001=1e-4 are missed. They have it but got a false test.
I'm still working on the proof. The solutions are wrong sometimes, but in this case I would go with the solutions over me. Hopefully I'll get the same work they did.

Last edited:
First off, for the notation you're using, the | operator is not commutative if I understand it correctly. So P(-|D)=0.02 does not equal P(D|-).
All I can figure out is that maybe there is a law that for good tests P(-|D)=P(+|D^c). To me that doesn't seem reasonable. [edit: actually now it seems somewhat reasonable but still can't help too much]
Sorry I couldn't help you more. Maybe someone else can.

Last edited:

1. What is engineering statistics?

Engineering statistics is the application of statistical methods and techniques to analyze and solve problems in the field of engineering. It involves collecting, organizing, analyzing, and interpreting data to inform decision-making and improve processes within engineering projects.

2. How are statistical methods used in engineering?

Statistical methods are used in engineering to make data-driven decisions and improve processes. These methods help engineers to analyze data, identify patterns and trends, and make predictions about future outcomes. They also assist in quality control, risk assessment, and optimization of systems and processes.

3. What are some common statistical tools used in engineering?

Some common statistical tools used in engineering include regression analysis, hypothesis testing, design of experiments, control charts, and process capability analysis. These tools help engineers to analyze data, make predictions, and identify areas for improvement within engineering projects.

4. How does engineering statistics benefit the field of engineering?

Engineering statistics provides engineers with a systematic and objective approach to decision-making, which leads to improved processes, increased efficiency, and better quality control. It also helps to identify and mitigate potential risks, leading to safer and more reliable engineering designs and projects.

5. How can I learn more about engineering statistics?

There are many resources available to learn more about engineering statistics, including textbooks, online courses, and workshops. Additionally, many universities offer courses and degree programs in engineering statistics. It may also be beneficial to seek guidance from experienced engineers or attend conferences and seminars related to the field.