Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

English composition and grammar help

1. Aug 21, 2009 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

My daughter, Evo Child, is a university student and an English tutor, (her university pays her to tutor other students). She's been tutoring since High School (honors English).

She asked me if I thought anyone at PF would be interested in having help with their English. She will be glad to come here and help with homework, review papers, answer questions, etc...

We don't really have a set place for English help, so I told her I would let people know she's willing to help. So I am asking to see if there would be any interest and let people know she will be glad to help.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2009 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Me english does not need any help. Me not interest. Thanks yous.

4. Aug 21, 2009 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's a wonderful offer, and something from which people here could benefit. (Yes, I just turned that sentence around to be grammatically correct, even though it's not the normal way people speak. Oh, the pressure! :rofl:)

I don't know if things have changed on this issue since I was a mentor, but we used to be fairly lenient about allowing these types of questions to be asked either in "Other sciences" homework help, or in the History and Humanities forum. If she's willing to stick around, maybe a HW Help forum for English could be created. I don't know of any university in the US that lets students escape without at least one course in English literature or expository writing, usually the latter, and usually in Freshman year.

Edit: I had another thought on the topic. Since the "official language of PF" is English, perhaps that even better justifies having a HW help forum for English. Students from non-English-speaking countries who wish to participate here might also appreciate having a forum where they can learn English, especially if they can get help with more technical terms than they might get in their courses.

5. Aug 21, 2009 #4

Danger

Gold Member

I speakish not de Anglish so good. Fourword I be antipicating conecshion wid the beatifful yung gurl whose you refirs too. :tongue2:

6. Aug 21, 2009 #5

negitron

Science Advisor

Actually, only uptight prescriptivists insist that sentences should not end with a preposition. For the rest of the English-speaking world, it's perfectly acceptable and correct usage.

7. Aug 21, 2009 #6
    I went to walmart today that was being renovated for months. I did not understand the reason behind the renovation, the old one was just fine. Needless to say, I was astonished to find a new department selling steaks, fish, apples and oranges. They even built a new bakery. It's great now, we like variety.

8. Aug 21, 2009 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ending sentences with prepositions is a practice up with which we must not put!

9. Aug 21, 2009 #8

negitron

Science Advisor

Did someone post in the wrong thread?

EDIT: not you, Lisa!

10. Aug 21, 2009 #9

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A woman I work with started back to school to get her Masters degree. One of her classes had an online portion. She became so upset at the spelling and grammer in the posts that she had to schedule a special appointment with the dean just to rant.

Now she's teaching remedial English for grad students. :rofl:

Now she really knows how dumb some of these people are! :rofl:

She mentioned a John F Kennedy quote and one of the students asked if he was dead. When she gave a stunned reply of yes, the student complained that she didn't think it was right to quote dead people.

11. Aug 21, 2009 #10
    It's possible that I might need some help with my English. How good looking is the tutor?

Don't hit me Evo, you know I kid around. Yikes here comes my wife.

12. Aug 21, 2009 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

*Hands an ice pack to Jimmy*

I'm not sure who got you first, your wife or Evo, but somehow, I'm sure you're in need of that ice right now. :rofl:

13. Aug 21, 2009 #12

Evo

I stopped using proper English when a guy I dated said I sounded like I was in a Shakespearean play. :frown:

I know from reading posts that many members could use help, but we've never had a single place they could go and know they'd get serious help.

Perhaps GD was not the place to ask this. :frown:

14. Aug 21, 2009 #13

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know :smile:...I saw it too, but it's been taken care of. Oops...I mean the care of it has been taken :uhh:.

So Evo, does your daughter have any experience with English as second language students?

15. Aug 21, 2009 #14

Evo

Yes she does, and that's something she would like to help with here.

16. Aug 21, 2009 #15

berkeman

It was a metaphor. Or a simile. I forget which. I guess I'll ask EvoChild... :biggrin:

17. Aug 21, 2009 #16

berkeman

I think that's a great point, Moonbear.

18. Aug 21, 2009 #17

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would frequently help ESL students when I was in college...I often found their knowledge of grammar rules was more extensive than mine :redface:. It's quite different from teaching native speakers.

Kudos to her for volunteering!

19. Aug 21, 2009 #18

Pengwuino

Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: oh my goodness... "who doth pay unto this bill for yon expensive restaurant"

20. Aug 21, 2009 #19

drizzle

Gold Member

I think my sister would be interested, I’ll tell her about that. thanks for sharing

21. Aug 21, 2009 #20

drizzle

Gold Member

and I’m thinking that the mentor of this English forum will be fitted well to the one and only PFer, that will be ….:biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook