Engr Mechanics Statics Problem (summation of forces)

In summary, the purpose of solving Engr Mechanics Statics problems is to analyze and understand the forces acting on a stationary object in order to determine its equilibrium and stability. This involves calculating the summation of forces using vector addition and applying key principles such as Newton's laws of motion and the principle of moments. Common types of problems encountered in Engr Mechanics Statics include determining forces, analyzing equilibrium, and calculating forces needed for different scenarios. Practical applications include civil engineering, mechanical engineering, and aerospace engineering for designing and constructing structures, machines, and vehicles, as well as analyzing and optimizing existing systems.
savcicEX

Homework Statement

The problem is the following;
Three smooth homogeneous cylinders A, B, and C are stacked in a V-shaped trough. Each cylinder has a diameter of 500 mm and a mass of 100kg. Determine the forces exerted on cylinder A by the inclined surfaces.

Homework Equations

This problem requires you to sum the forces in the X and the Y direction and solve for the 2 normal forces. my problem is that I end up with an equation with 3 variables. A diagram drawn on paint is attached.

The Attempt at a Solution

I first tried to draw a FDB of cylinder A exclusively (Fb, Fc, N1 & N2) but ended up with an equation with 3 variables
0.366Fb - 1.366 Fc +1.366N1=981N (my N1 is on the left side of cylinder A. N2 canceled out).
Then I tried to study cyl. B to later equal the forces but got 0=-566.38 so I gave up that route.
A problem with the way I tried to solve this problem is that I didnt take into consideration the diameter at all.

How would you go on solving this problem. btw the answers are N1=1304 N, N2=829 N

Attachments

• physics.bmp
    69.2 KB · Views: 679
Physics news on Phys.org
This question is 14+ years old at the time of answering. Since there is little chance of communications with the OP I’ve provided a fairly complete answer.

The (badly drawn) diagram in Post #1 is unviewable for me – it's just blank. It is a bmp (bitmap) file. If downloaded, it can be viewed using other software (I used LibreOfiice Draw). In case anyone else has the same problem I've reproduced it here as a jpg:
cylinders.jpg

The normal force exerted by B on A is simply equal to the downhill component of B’s weight: mgsinθ = 100*9.81sin(30º) = 490.5N. This has:
x-component = 490.5cos((30º) = 424.79N (to the right)
y-component = 490.5sin((30º) = -245.25N (down)

The normal force exerted by C on A is the downhill component of C’s weight: mgsinθ = 100*9.81sin(45º) = 693.67N. This has:
x-component = 693.67cos(45º) = -490.5N (to left)
y-component = 693.67sin(45º) = -490.5N (down)

A free body diagram for A is needed really, but I’ll do without it...

Left N₁ and N₂ be the normal forces exerted by the left and right sides of the trough on A.

Resolving forces on A horizontally:
N₁ sin(30º) – N₂ sin(45º) + 424.79 – 490.5 = 0
0.5N₁ – 0.7071N₂ = 65.71 (equation 1)

Resolving forces on A vertically:
N₁ cos(30º) + N₂cos((45º) -245.25 – 490.5 – 981 = 0
0.866 N₁ + 0.7071 N₂ = 1716.75 (equation 2)

Solving equations 1 and 2 gives N₁ = 1305N and N₂ = 830N, matching the ‘official answers (allowing for rounding error).

Edit: minor changes only.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2 and TSny

1. What is the purpose of solving Engr Mechanics Statics problems?

The purpose of solving Engr Mechanics Statics problems is to analyze and understand the forces acting on a stationary object in order to determine its equilibrium and stability. This is important in engineering design and construction, as well as in understanding the behavior of structures and machines.

2. How do you calculate the summation of forces in Engr Mechanics Statics problems?

The summation of forces is calculated by adding all the individual forces acting on an object, taking into account their direction and magnitude. This can be done using vector addition, where forces in the same direction are added and forces in opposite directions are subtracted.

3. What are the key principles used in solving Engr Mechanics Statics problems?

The key principles used in solving Engr Mechanics Statics problems include Newton's laws of motion, which state that an object in equilibrium has a net force of zero, and the principle of moments, which states that the sum of all moments acting on an object is equal to zero.

4. What are some common types of problems encountered in Engr Mechanics Statics?

Some common types of problems encountered in Engr Mechanics Statics include determining the forces acting on a stationary object, analyzing the equilibrium of a structure or machine, and calculating the forces needed to maintain equilibrium in different scenarios.

5. What are some practical applications of Engr Mechanics Statics?

Engr Mechanics Statics is used in various fields such as civil engineering, mechanical engineering, and aerospace engineering. It is applied in the design and construction of structures, machines, and vehicles, as well as in the analysis and optimization of existing systems.