Can entanglement occur in distant galaxies according to NRQM and QFT?

In summary: It's not that easy, and it's extremely unlikely that two particles from far distant galaxies are entangled when we measure them.
accdd
What is entanglement in QM and QFT?
I understood that it only corresponds to the concept of linear combination of states with multiple particles. Seeing lectures on YB it seems to me that it is something much deeper than that. What did I miss? How is it treated in QFT?
I am studying NRQM from the Griffiths book.

Likes Delta2 and vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
accdd said:
An entangled state is a state of a quantum system with multiple subsystems that cannot be expressed as a product of states of the subsystems.

For example, suppose we have two identical particles and we are considering their spins. A product state might be something like this:

$$
\psi_P = \ket{\uparrow}_1 \ket{\uparrow}_2
$$

An entangled state would be something like this:

$$
\psi_E = \ket{\uparrow}_1 \ket{\uparrow}_2 + \ket{\downarrow}_1 \ket{\downarrow}_2
$$

Note that there is no way to express ##\psi_E## as a product of a "1" ket and a "2" ket. It is a sum of multiple such products, but there is no way to express it as a single such product.

• Informative
Likes Delta2, vanhees71, DrChinese and 2 others
accdd said:
I understood that it only corresponds to the concept of linear combination of states with multiple particles.
Yes, that's correct.

accdd said:
Seeing lectures on YB it seems to me that it is something much deeper than that.
What did I miss?
Mathematically, there is nothing deep about entanglement. What you miss are physical consequences of that. The physical consequences arise when you ascribe a physical interpretation to those states, specifically the standard probabilistic interpretation.

accdd said:
How is it treated in QFT?
The same way as in NRQM. (Except that now you can even have superpositions of states with different numbers of particles, but in the context of entanglement such superpositions are rarely relevant physically.)

Likes PeroK, vanhees71 and accdd
One should also note that you can formulate also non-relativistic QM as a non-relativistic QFT. This is of great advantage when it comes to many-body theory, even if in fact the particle number is conserved. The reason is that the QFT formalism (no matter whether it's relativistic or non-relativistic) takes care of the Bose-Einstein and Fermi-Dirac constraints of many-particle states.

Likes accdd and protonsarecool
Can entangled states be generated only locally? For example if I have a particle that decays I know entangled particles can be generated.
Or can entangled states be generated even between distant particles? For example if I have one particle here and one on a distant galaxy, if I wait long enough, will an entangled state of both particles ever result?

It's not that easy, and it's extremely unlikely that two particles from far distant galaxies are entangled when we measure them.

Usually to prepare entangled quantum states (most easily it's done with photons) one uses some local process like parametric down conversion:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_parametric_down-conversion

Nevertheless you can indeed prepare entangled pairs of particles which never have been in local contact with each other. One way is "entanglement swapping":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_teleportation#Entanglement_swapping

Likes DrChinese and accdd
If I wait long enough can two or more particles in distant galaxies end up in an entangled state?

1. What is entanglement in quantum mechanics?

Entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other, regardless of the distance between them.

2. Can entanglement occur in distant galaxies?

According to NRQM (non-relativistic quantum mechanics) and QFT (quantum field theory), entanglement can occur between particles in distant galaxies. This is because entanglement is not limited by distance and can occur between particles that are separated by vast distances.

3. How is entanglement measured?

Entanglement is measured through a process called quantum state tomography, which involves measuring the state of each particle in a pair multiple times and comparing the results to a theoretical model. The degree of correlation between the particles' states is used to determine the level of entanglement.

4. What are the potential applications of entanglement in distant galaxies?

Entanglement in distant galaxies has potential applications in quantum communication and computing. It could also provide new insights into the nature of space and time, as well as help us better understand the behavior of matter and energy on a cosmic scale.

5. Are there any challenges to studying entanglement in distant galaxies?

One of the main challenges in studying entanglement in distant galaxies is the difficulty in detecting and measuring it. Entanglement is a fragile phenomenon and can easily be disrupted by external factors. Additionally, the vast distances and complexities of the universe make it challenging to conduct experiments and gather data on entanglement in distant galaxies.