Entropy in Chemistry: Questions and Answers

  • Thread starter Thread starter ada0713
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Chemistry Entropy
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
ada0713
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
I have two questions regaring my homework assignmnet

1) Is there a "spontaneous process" where the "entropy of the surrounding" decreases?
If so, what kind of reactions (or process) falls into this category? I was trying to
think of something but couldn't/

2) and this was is just to make sure I got it right.. Is it right that the system
is always at equilibrium when [delta S sys= delta S surr].. or do they all have
to euqal to zero?

thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
1) Entropy is transferred when one object heats another. Can you think of an example when a system is heated by its surroundings?

2) The condition of system equilibrium is dSsys=0.