1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Epsilon-Delta definition of a Limit: Question

1. Sep 6, 2006 #1
    This may be a dumb question, but:

Using the epsilon-delta definition of a limit, when x is approaching the maximum of a parabola, like with: [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow0}-x^2[/tex], obviously any value of epsilon puts [tex]L+\epsilon[/tex] outside the range of f(x). So, I take it in this case only [tex]L-\epsilon[/tex] is considered (which made sense to me graphically since you now have two points where the function intersects this line)?

I just need verification (or correction) on this because every example and problem in the two textbooks I have has given/displayed an L and an epsilon such that [tex]L-\epsilon[/tex] and [tex]L+\epsilon[/tex] both lie within the range of f(x).

Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2006 #2
    no. you find the limit at a max/min just like you would at any other point. i think the only instance where the direction you approach a certain valuie matters is when you approcah from the right or left, not from above/below.
  4. Sep 6, 2006 #3

Science Advisor

x always does take values between L + e and L - e for L = 0 and e an arbitrary positive number. The values all happen to be between L and L - e, with none greater than L, but this is extra information that you don't need to evaluate the limit.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?