1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Epsilon Delta Limit Definition

1. Oct 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove lim x--> -1

1/(sqrt((x^2)+1)

using epsilon, delta definition of a limit

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the limit =(sqrt(2))/2

And my proof is like this so far. Let epsilon >0 be given. We need to find delta>0 s.t. if 0<lx+1l<delta, then l[1/(sqrt((x^2)+1)]-(sqrt(2))/2l < epsilon. So we need to pick delta= ?

I'm not sure how to arrive at the delta. I know I have to work out what's inside the absolute values, but I'm getting stuck.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What have you tried?

Where are you stuck?

4. Oct 17, 2012 #3
    I don't know how to simplify it at all. My thought was to maybe to get common denominator or and then multiply by the conjugate, but I don't know if this is correct. I got l[2-(2)^(1/2) *((x^2)+1)^(1/2)]/(2((x^2)+1)^(1/2)l. I'm sorry, it's hard to type it here, does any of that make sense?

5. Oct 17, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that makes some sense.

What you have is: [itex]\displaystyle \left|\frac{2-\sqrt{2}\sqrt{1+x^2}}{2\,\sqrt{1+x^2}}\right|[/itex] which is equivalent to: [itex]\displaystyle \left|\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+x^2}}-\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\right|[/itex]. That's a start.

Rationalize the numerator. One factor of the result will be (x + 1) .

Restrict δ to put a bound on the rest of the expression.

6. Oct 17, 2012 #5
    When I try to rationalize, I get l(-2x^2)/[4((x^2)+1)^(1/2)+2(2)^(1/2)*((x^2)+1)]l

What did I do wrong?

7. Oct 17, 2012 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The numerator should be 2(1-x2) which is 1(1-x)(1+x).

The denominator is a mess.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook