1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Epsilon delta proofs equaling a constant

1. Sep 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Lim x→a of f(x) = c (Where c is a constant)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no idea. I am able to do these if I can manipulate fx-L to equal x-a but I am having trouble with this one. Please help me!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have no idea either. What is your question? What are you trying to do?

4. Sep 14, 2012 #3
    I have to prove using the epsilon delta method that as x approaches a the limit of a constant is a constant. It seems so easy to do that I'm having trouble with it.

5. Sep 14, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

δ can be pretty much anything.

Let δ = 1, for example.

6. Sep 14, 2012 #5
    I understand that but my proff wants us to mathematically prove why that is. Wich seems difficult because it is s simple.

7. Sep 14, 2012 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are claiming that for f(x)= c, a contant, for any a, [itex]\lim_{x\to a} f(x)= c[/itex]. The definition of "[itex]\lim_{x\to a} f(x)= L[/itex]" is "Given [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex], there exist [itex]\delta> 0[/itex] such that if [itex]|x- a|< \delta[/itex] then [itex]|f(x)- L|< \epsilon[/itex]". Here, of course, f(x)= c and L= c so that [itex]|f(x)- L|= |c- c|= 0<\epsilon[/itex] for all x. So say
    "Given [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex], let [itex]\delta[/itex] be any positive number. Then if [itex]|x- a|< \delta[/itex]... (you do the rest)."

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2012
  8. Sep 14, 2012 #7
    Thank you very much :) after which I say since [itex]\left|x-a \right|[/itex] = [itex]\left| fx-L \right|[/itex] then [itex]\left| fx-L \right|[/itex] > δ. And that completes the proof?

9. Sep 14, 2012 #8
    No, what I wrote can't be right.. Uh

10. Sep 14, 2012 #9

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How about:

For ε > 0

If | x - a | < δ

then | f(x) - c | =   ?  

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  11. Sep 14, 2012 #10
    All the comments have been very helpful and I'm very embarrassed because I'm very good at math.. I think I'm really overthinking it. Can someone just post the solution so I can follow the steps and really learn this?

12. Sep 14, 2012 #11

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes. Don't overthink it.
    Not going to happen.

See the rules (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380), especially this one:

13. Sep 14, 2012 #12
    Guess I should have read that first. It has to be l fx-c l < δ that's what I'm thinking

14. Sep 14, 2012 #13

Mark44

No, you want to show that |f(x) - C| < ##\epsilon##. That really shouldn't be hard to do, given the function you're working with.

15. Sep 14, 2012 #14
    SInce l fx-L l = 0 and ε > 0 then l fx - L l < ε. Please be right....

16. Sep 14, 2012 #15

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

And notice that, for this particular function, it doesn't matter how big or small ##\delta## is.

17. Sep 14, 2012 #16
    Yeah it finally clicked. If l fx - L l is 0 and δ is any positive number, Given the information, it fx-L must be less than

18. Sep 14, 2012 #17

Mark44

You really should get into the habit of writing function notation correctly. It's f(x), not fx.

19. Sep 14, 2012 #18
    Here an example
    http://imageshack.us/a/img708/1055/10204791.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook