Help with an epsilon-delta proof

• Thread starter Kolika28
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: In that case, we can argue that there is no ##\delta >0## such that ##|x|<\delta## implies ##|f(x)|<\epsilon##, unless ##f(0)=0##.
Kolika28
Homework Statement
With the definition of continuity and the formal definition of the limit value prove that: Let f:R→R be a function f that is continuous in x=0 and has the property that if x≠0 then f(x)≥0. Then f(0)≥0.
Relevant Equations
The formal definiton of the limit value
Definition of continuity
I have been struggling with this problem and also my friends. We are not the best at epsilon-delta proof and we have not found an understandable solution to this problem.

Likes member 587159
Physics news on Phys.org
I would approach this indirectly. Assume ##f(0)=:c <0##. Then you get a positive gap between the points approaching zero which does not vanish, regardless how close to zero you are. That's the idea.

Continuity in the limit definition means: ##\lim_{x \to 0} f(x) = f(0)##. Continuity in the ##\varepsilon-\delta-##version means: For any ##\varepsilon > 0## there is a ##\delta > 0## such that ##|x|<\delta## implies ##|f(x)-f(0)|<\varepsilon##. Now if ##c<0##, does either of the definitions hold?

Likes member 587159
fresh_42 said:
I would approach this indirectly. Assume ##f(0)=:c <0##. Then you get a positive gap between the points approaching zero which does not vanish, regardless how close to zero you are. That's the idea.

Continuity in the limit definition means: ##\lim_{x \to 0} f(x) = f(0)##. Continuity in the ##\varepsilon-\delta-##version means: For any ##\varepsilon > 0## there is a ##\delta > 0## such that ##|x|<\delta## implies ##|f(x)-f(0)|<\varepsilon##. Now if ##c<0##, does either of the definitions hold?
I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by the last question.

If we have ##f(0)=c < 0## and choose ##\varepsilon := \dfrac{|c|}{3}##, will we find that ##f(x) \stackrel{x\to 0}{\longrightarrow}c## gets arbitrary close (in the limit definition), or will we find a ##\delta > 0## such that ##|f(x)-c|< \varepsilon =c/3## for ##|x|<\delta ## in the other definition?

The ##\varepsilon-\delta## definition of continuity is easier here, since regardless how small ##|x|## is, ##|f(x)-c|## will always exceed ##\varepsilon##.

Likes Kolika28
1568591426669.png

I have done this, so is this wrong? And if not, how do I continue?

The idea looks ok, but what do you want to show with it? There is no structure, i.e. no quantifiers.
##|f(x)-f(0)|<\varepsilon## means ##-\varepsilon < f(x)-f(0) < \varepsilon##. Now why can't this be for any small ##|x|## and for which value of ##\varepsilon##? Or is it always true, regardless what ##f(0)## is?

Likes Kolika28
@fresh_42 gave an indirect proof. Here are two direct proofs (maybe only the first proof is relevant to you).

Proof 1:

Fix ##\epsilon >0##. Choose ##\delta>0## such that ##|f(y)-f(0)|< \epsilon## whenever ##|y|<\delta##. Taking ##y=\delta/2## (or another strictly positive value smaller than delta), we see that ##|f(0)|=|f(y)-f(0)|<\epsilon##.

Conclusion: we have proven that

$$\forall \epsilon >0: |f(0)|<\epsilon$$

Hence, it follows that ##|f(0)|=0##, thus ##f(0)=0##.

Proof 2:

Since ##f## is continuous at ##0##, we have

$$f(0)=\lim_{x\to 0, x \neq 0} f(x) = 0$$

Likes Kolika28
Math_QED said:
@fresh_42 gave an indirect proof. Here are two direct proofs (maybe only the first proof is relevant to you).

Proof 1:

Fix ##\epsilon >0##. Choose ##\delta>0## such that ##|f(y)-f(0)|< \epsilon## whenever ##|y|<\delta##. Taking ##y=\delta/2## (or another strictly positive value smaller than delta), we see that ##|f(0)|=|f(y)-f(0)|<\epsilon##.

Proof 2:

Since ##f## is continuous at ##0##, we have$$f(0)=\lim_{x\to 0, x \neq 0} f(x) = 0$$
If I use the first proof, why is y=delta/2?

Kolika28 said:
If I use the first proof, why is y=delta/2?

It is just a choice I made.

For any ##y\in \mathbb{R}## with ##|y|<\delta##, it holds that ##|f(y)-f(0)|<\epsilon##. In particular, it is true that ##|f(\delta/2)-f(0)|< \epsilon##.

(But also ##\delta/3, \delta/100## or any number ##y## with ##0<|y|<\delta## will make the proof work.)

Likes Kolika28
One way to prove it is with the help of the following lemma:

Lemma: if ##\lim_{x \to x_0}f(x)=L\neq 0## then there exists a neighborhood ##\Pi## of ##x_0## such that ##f(x)## and ##L## have the same sign for ##x\in \Pi##.

You can prove this lemma with an epsilon-delta proof. This lemma holds even if the function is not continuous at ##x_0##

Now since we know the function is continuous at ##x_0=0## it is

##\lim_{x \to 0} f(x)=f(0)##

We take cases:
1) ##f(0)=0##, got nothing to prove here
2) ##f(0)\neq 0##. You can use the lemma and conclude that ##f(0)## will be positive.

Likes Kolika28
Math_QED said:

Proof 1:

I don't follow this at all. Why must ##f(0)=0##? We were only to show ##f(0) \ge 0##.

Likes Kolika28
PeroK said:
I don't follow this at all. Why must ##f(0)=0##? We were only to show ##f(0) \ge 0##.

I misread the question. I thought it said that ##f(x)=0## for all ##x\neq 0##. Thanks for noticing.

Likes Kolika28
Kolika28 said:
Homework Statement: With the definition of continuity and the formal definition of the limit value prove that: Let f:R→R be a function f that is continuous in x=0 and has the property that if x≠0 then f(x)≥0. Then f(0)≥0.
Homework Equations: The formal definiton of the limit value
Definition of continuity

I have been struggling with this problem and also my friends. We are not the best at epsilon-delta proof and we have not found an understandable solution to this problem.

In general, for a proof like this you have to decide how to approach it. There are two obvious strategies:

A) A direct proof. You have:

##f## is continuous at ##x = 0## and ##f(x) \ge 0## for ##x \ne 0##

You can use these two premises to show directly that ##f(0) \ge 0##

B) Proof by contradiction. In this case, you assume:

##f## is continuous at ##x = 0##, ##f(x) \ge 0## for ##x \ne 0## and ##f(0) < 0##

From these three premises you achieve a contradiction, which means that if the first two hold, the third must be false. (As a side note, in this case you will also have proved that if any two hold, then the third must be false. E.g. if ##f(x) \ge 0## for ##x \ne 0## and ##f(0) < 0##, then ##f## is not continuous at ##x =0##. But, let's not get side-tracked.)

That's your first decision.

Next, if you are stuck, then you could try to find a counter-example. It's a very good idea to try to do this. You might learn a lot about why something is true if you try to find a function that shows it is false. In this case, what happens if you try to find a function with ##f(0) < 0##? Why can't you find such a function?

Finally, if something is ##< 0##, then it must have some definite negative value. It's often a good idea to introduce a term to denote this. So, for example, you could say:

If ##f(0) < 0##, then let ##f(0) = -c##, where ##c > 0##.

That gives you something to work with. Of course, it's possible just to work with ##f(0)## as a negative number, and ##-f(0)## as a positive number. But, introducing a simple number like ##c## can sometimes clarify what you are doing.

Likes Kolika28 and fresh_42
Thank you so much for your help everyone! I have finally solved it! :)

Likes fresh_42

What is an epsilon-delta proof?

An epsilon-delta proof is a method used in mathematics to prove the limit of a function using the concept of limits, which is the idea that a function approaches a specific value as the input variable gets closer and closer to a certain value.

Why are epsilon-delta proofs important?

Epsilon-delta proofs are important because they provide a rigorous and precise way to prove the limit of a function, which is a fundamental concept in calculus and other branches of mathematics.

What is the general structure of an epsilon-delta proof?

The general structure of an epsilon-delta proof includes defining the limit of the function, choosing a value for epsilon (the desired level of closeness to the limit), finding a corresponding delta value, and showing that for all inputs within delta distance of the limit, the function's outputs are within epsilon distance of the limit.

What are some tips for writing a successful epsilon-delta proof?

Some tips for writing a successful epsilon-delta proof include working backwards from the definition of the limit, using algebraic manipulations and logical reasoning, and being precise and rigorous in your statements and calculations.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid when writing an epsilon-delta proof?

Some common mistakes to avoid when writing an epsilon-delta proof include confusing epsilon and delta values, using incorrect algebraic manipulations, and making assumptions about the function that are not necessarily true. It is also important to clearly state your assumptions and reasoning throughout the proof.