Epsilon delta surroundings question

Can you clarify?In summary, the conversation discusses the process of proving a given inequality for any delta. The person mentions calling delta d and epsilon e, and then choosing e=1/4. They explain that the inequality needs to work for every delta, so they take x=min{2,(1+d)/2}. For d>2, x=1+d/2 and for d<2, x=2. The person then asks about the logic behind this formula for x.
nhrock3
i need to prove that for every delta
i call d=delta
e=epsilon
1/|x+1|>e
we can choosr any e we want
so they took e=1/4
but because the innqualitty needs to work for every delta
they took x=min{2,(1+d)/2}
for d>2 it takes x= 1+d /2
for d<2 takes x=2
uppon what logic they found this formula x=min{2,(1+d)/2}

Physics news on Phys.org
nhrock3 said:
i need to prove that for every delta
i call d=delta
e=epsilon
1/|x+1|>e
we can choosr any e we want
so they took e=1/4
but because the innqualitty needs to work for every delta
they took x=min{2,(1+d)/2}
for d>2 it takes x= 1+d /2
for d<2 takes x=2
uppon what logic they found this formula x=min{2,(1+d)/2}

I don't understand the question. You say "for every delta", but then the equation that follows doesn't have a delta in it.

1. What is the epsilon-delta definition of a limit?

The epsilon-delta definition of a limit is a mathematical concept used to precisely define the behavior of a function as it approaches a certain value. It involves finding a value of delta, which represents the distance between the input and the desired limit, and a value of epsilon, which represents the margin of error. Essentially, it determines how close the input must be to the limit in order for the output to be within the desired range of error.

2. How is the epsilon-delta definition used to prove continuity?

The epsilon-delta definition is used to prove continuity by showing that for any given epsilon, there exists a delta such that the difference between the input and the desired output is less than epsilon. This demonstrates that the function has no sudden jumps or breaks and is therefore continuous at that point.

3. Can the epsilon-delta definition be used for all types of functions?

Yes, the epsilon-delta definition can be used for all types of functions, including piecewise, rational, and trigonometric functions. It is a general definition that can be applied to any function to determine its behavior at a specific point.

4. How is the epsilon-delta definition related to the concept of a limit?

The epsilon-delta definition is directly related to the concept of a limit because it is used to determine the precise behavior of a function at a certain point. The limit is the value that the function approaches as the input gets closer and closer to the desired point, and the epsilon-delta definition provides a way to quantify this behavior.

5. What are some common mistakes made when using the epsilon-delta definition?

Some common mistakes made when using the epsilon-delta definition include using the wrong value for delta, not considering all possible values of epsilon, and not fully understanding the concept of a limit. It is important to carefully follow the definition and understand the underlying concepts in order to correctly apply it.