1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eq. for displacement of current-carrying wire due to magnet

1. Mar 23, 2015 #1

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a3vab1i.png
    This is for a physics lab I am working on. A flowing current causes the wire to deflect towards the right a certain amount that varies depending on the current strength.

I need to derive the equation d=(L/mg)F
    where
    -- L is the distance between contact 1 and 2 both of which lie in the same vertical line.
    -- mg is the weight attached at the end of the wire.
    -- F is the strength of the magnetic field.
    -- d is the horizontal displacement of the wire at the magnet

The magnets are located in the center of the setup and the vertical distance from contact 1 to the magnet can be approximated to be L/2

For the full lab, see http://skipper.physics.sunysb.edu/~physlab/phy134Lab5Magnetic_Force_v4.pdf

2. Relevant equations
    Derive: d = (L/mg)F
    F = 2*F_W *sin(theta)
    theta = d/L/2 = 2d/L
    See below for the derivations of the second two equations.

3. The attempt at a solution
    MOMDYs7.png
    Here is a free-body diagram of the wire at the point where a magnetic field moves it to the right. Equation (1) is for theta, the angle that F_W makes with the vertical.
    fTqxDOs.png
    I got the equation for theta as follows. Tan(theta) = Opposite/Adjacent. Taking theta to be the angle of the wire to the horizontal, opposite is equation to d and adjacent is taken to be L/2 so this will be the triangle formed by the top half of the wire and the magnet. Thus tan(theta)=d/L/2=2d/L

So I've gotten close but the 4 shouldn't be there. I know I have an error somewhere and likely, the 2s of the equations before should have canceled each other once I combined them.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2015 #2
    I also got the same eqn as yours. Check the questiin again

4. Apr 6, 2015 #3
    Bump.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted