1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation check: Dimensional analysis.

1. Feb 10, 2013 #1
    I came across this equation, said to describe the relation between the resonant frequencies of air in a spherical cavity open at the top.

[tex] D = 17.87 \sqrt[3]{\frac{d}{f^{2}}}[/tex]

Where D is the sphere diameter, d is the diameter of a small circular cavity at the top of the sphere and f is the resonant frequency.

Is it me or is this equation wrong?

The dimensions do not seem to check out. The frequency term introduces a dimension of [itex] T^{2/3} [/itex] to the RHS which is not balanced on the LHS.

I would guess that a term with units of speed squared should be added to the numerator inside the cube-root. That would add dimensions of [itex] L^{2/3} T^{-2/3} [/itex]. I would also suspect that this speed of be the speed of sound in the air (C).

i.e. I think the equation should be:

[tex] D = 17.87 \sqrt[3]{\frac{dC^{2}}{f^{2}}} [/tex]

Can anyone tell me if I'm right?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Your argument makes sense, but it is possible that the author presumed/specified certain units to be used and has incorporated a standard value for the speed of sound in air, based on that assumption of units, into the constant.

4. Feb 10, 2013 #3
    Thanks for the reply.

No mention of different units that I can see. The author also uses a similar formula for a cavity with a neck and includes a speed of sound term.

To be completely frank, I'm checking a wikipedia article. An error is therefore, not completely unexpected. Though I lack the confidence to be 100% confident in my argument.

5. Feb 11, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I didn't say different units, I said specific units. The article specifies metres, and the author may have felt it reasonable to assume that frequency is in cycles/sec. The next equation, where the speed of sound does appear, doesn't have a magic constant. This leads me to suspect the first equation is correct, just not ideally expressed.
    I notice that if you write L=d and C=340m/s in the second equation you get something close to the first.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook