Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation for heat transfer rate

1. Aug 4, 2014 #1
    Hi,

I am trying to create an apparatus to measure the thermal conductivity of woody pellet based on peltier effect. the fundamental equation for thermal conductivity is Q"=kA(Δt/Δl), where k is thermal conductivity. A is the area of pellet, Δt is measured by using thermocouple and peltier plate and length of the pellet is known. However, I am not too sure how to calculate the Q" based on the information that I have, Could anyone give me some tips to find the Q" by using other parameters? The one I was think of is using voltage & current from the power supply to calculate the resistance (R) through the pellet , and Q" =ΔT/R, Can I use this equation? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2014 #2
    I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

4. Aug 6, 2014 #3
    I am still awaiting for the reply from my supervisor from uni to verify my assumption, but at this stage, I don't have answer....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook