Equation for solving the coefficient of Kinetic friction HELP?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be calculated using the equation μk = Fk/N, where μk represents the coefficient of kinetic friction, Fk is the force of kinetic friction, and N is the normal force. This equation is used to determine the level of resistance between two surfaces in motion. In summary, the equation for solving the coefficient of kinetic friction is μk = Fk/N.
susyq232
Equation for solving the coefficient of Kinetic friction HELP??

Problem: A cable attached to a block of mass 9 kg pulls the block along a horizontal floor at a constant velocity. If the tension in the cable is 5.2 N, what is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the floor?

Questions:I have tried to solve this but i really don't know where to begin.
Whats the equation to calculate the coefficient of Kinetic Friction?

Attempt: ok i know Mass= Friction/Gravity and gravity is 9.8,
u=friction(k)/Normal force

Fg= 9kg* (9.8)= 88.2 kg

Ef=Ma = 5.2n +Ffk= 9kg * o m/s^2 = Ffk=-5.2 n

[uk]= 5.2/100 = 0.052 m/s^2

is this right? so confused

i really just don't have any idea about the the equation...HELP??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

If the block is moving at a constant speed then there must be no net force on the block. That is the friction cancels out the force pulling it. Take a look at the following page about friction and have another go.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/frict2.html

The equation for calculating the coefficient of kinetic friction is:

μk = Fk / N

where μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction, Fk is the force of kinetic friction, and N is the normal force.

To solve for the coefficient of kinetic friction in this problem, we can use the formula:

μk = Fk / N = (5.2 N) / (9 kg * 9.8 m/s^2) = 0.058

Therefore, the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the floor is 0.058. I would recommend reviewing the concepts of friction and normal force to better understand how to approach these types of problems. Additionally, it is always helpful to check your answer by plugging it back into the equation and making sure it works. I hope this helps!

Related to Equation for solving the coefficient of Kinetic friction HELP?

1. What is the equation for solving the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The equation for solving the coefficient of kinetic friction is μk = Fk/N, where μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction, Fk is the force of kinetic friction, and N is the normal force.

2. How do I determine the force of kinetic friction?

The force of kinetic friction can be determined by multiplying the coefficient of kinetic friction (μk) by the normal force (N). This can be represented by the equation Fk = μkN.

3. What is the normal force?

The normal force is the force exerted by a surface on an object that is in contact with it. It is perpendicular to the surface and is equal in magnitude to the weight of the object.

4. How do I measure the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be measured by conducting an experiment where a known force is applied to an object on a surface and measuring the acceleration of the object. The coefficient of kinetic friction can then be calculated using the equation μk = a/g, where a is the acceleration and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. What factors affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is affected by several factors including the nature of the surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, the weight of the object, and the temperature. It also varies depending on the type of motion, such as sliding or rolling.