Equation of 3-dimensional plane

• Thread starter stanford1463
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
So the equation is -x-y-4z=-10.In summary, the question involves finding the equation of a plane through a given vector that is parallel to another plane containing two other vectors and the origin. The solution involves finding the cross product of the two vectors, which gives the normal to the plane, and using that to write the equation of the plane.
stanford1463

Homework Statement

Find the equation of the plane through vectors u=(1,1,2) parallel to the plane containing v=(2,2,-1), w=(1,-1,0), and the origin.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the cross product of v x w = (-1,-1,-4).
Thus, my equation became -x-y-4z=-9. Is this correct? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
bump...can anyone please see if I am right or wrong??

stanford1463 said:
bump...can anyone please see if I am right or wrong??

I'm not sure I understand the question here. Are you trying to find the equation of one plane (containing u) that is parallel to another plane (containing v,w. and the origin (0,0,0))? Or is there just one plane involved? Could you maybe repost the question in its original wording?

stanford1463 said:

Homework Statement

Find the equation of the plane through vectors u=(1,1,2) parallel to the plane containing v=(2,2,-1), w=(1,-1,0), and the origin.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the cross product of v x w = (-1,-1,-4).
Thus, my equation became -x-y-4z=-9. Is this correct? Thanks.

Yes, vxw=(-1,-1,-4) is the normal to the plane. So the equation of the plane is -x-y-4z=C for some constant C. If I put (1,1,2) into that, I don't get -9.

Ok thanks! Yeah, it was a typo, I meant -10.

1. What is the equation of a 3-dimensional plane?

The equation of a 3-dimensional plane is a mathematical representation of a flat surface in three-dimensional space. It is typically written in the form of Ax + By + Cz + D = 0, where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the variables x, y, and z, and D is a constant term.

2. How is the equation of a 3-dimensional plane different from a 2-dimensional plane?

A 3-dimensional plane has three variables (x, y, and z) and therefore requires three equations to represent it, while a 2-dimensional plane only has two variables (x and y) and requires two equations. Additionally, a 3-dimensional plane exists in three-dimensional space, while a 2-dimensional plane exists in two-dimensional space.

3. What does the equation of a 3-dimensional plane tell us?

The equation of a 3-dimensional plane gives us information about the position and orientation of the plane in three-dimensional space. It can also be used to determine the distance between a point and the plane, and to find the intersection of two planes.

4. How can we graph a 3-dimensional plane using its equation?

To graph a 3-dimensional plane, we can plot three points that satisfy the equation and connect them to form a triangle. This triangle represents the plane in three-dimensional space. Alternatively, we can use a computer program or graphing calculator to plot the plane.

5. Can the equation of a 3-dimensional plane be written in different forms?

Yes, the equation of a 3-dimensional plane can also be written in the form of vector equations, parametric equations, or as the intersection of two linear equations. However, the standard form (Ax + By + Cz + D = 0) is the most commonly used and easiest to work with.