Work done along the curve in 3 dimensional space

In summary: And a little later:No, the parametrization is ##\vec{r(t)}=(\sin(3t),(5+sin(10t))\cos t,(5+\sin (10t))\sin t)## .OK, but the question still applies: is it not clear that r(t+2π) = r(t)?And a little later:No, it is not clear. I see what you mean, but I don't see what it has to do with the problem.##\Gamma## with parametrization ##\vec{r(t)}=(\sin(3t),(5+sin(10t))\cos t,(5+\sin(10t))\sin
brkomir

Homework Statement

A vector field ##\vec{F}(x,y,z)=(e^y+z^2cosx,xe^y,2zsinx)## is given and a curve ##\Gamma## with parametrization ##\vec{r(t)}=(sin(3t),cost(5+sin(10t)),sint(5+sin(10t)))##. Calculate the work done along the curve ##\Gamma## for ##t\in \left [ 0,2\pi \right ]##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I first checked if ##\vec{F}## is potential:

##rot\vec{F}=\begin{pmatrix}
\frac{\partial }{\partial x} &\frac{\partial }{\partial y} & \frac{\partial }{\partial z}\\
e^y+z^2cosx& xe^y & 2zsinx
\end{pmatrix}=(0,2zcosx-2zcosx,e^y-e^y)=(0,0,0)##

So yes, ##\vec{F}## is potential!

Therefore the work done along the curve ##\Gamma## can be calculated ##\int \vec{F}d\vec{r}=\int grad(u)dr=u(b)-u(a)##

So I somehow have to get the equation of scalar field u...

Since we have a potential field I can say that ##u_x=e^y+z^2cosx##.

That gives me ##u=xe^y+z^2sinx +C(y,z)##

To determine ##C(y,z)## I derive the last equation: ##u_y=xe^y+C_y=xe^y##. The last equality comes from components of vector field ##\vec{F}##.

We can now see, that ##C(y,z)## is actually a function of z only! Let's check:

##u_z=2zsinx+C_z=2zsinx## now we can see that C is not a function of z either, there fore ##C=const## let's set C to 0.

Scala field is than given as ##u(x,y,z)=xe^y+z^2sinx## and the parametrization ##\vec{r(t)}=(sin(3t),cost(5+sin(10t)),sint(5+sin(10t)))## give us

##u(t)=sin(3t)e^{cost(5+sin(10t))}+sin^2(5+sin(10t))^2sin(sin(3t))## but because sin is a periodic function and equal to 0 for ##k2\pi ## where## k\in \mathbb{Z}## the final result is than also zero!
Which can only be explained IF the curve ##\Gamma## is connected.

Is everything written above ok? Is there a way I can check if ##\Gamma## is really connected?

I appreciate all the help!

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
brkomir said:
##\Gamma## with parametrization ##\vec{r(t)}=(sin(3t),cost(5+sin(10t)),sint(5+sin(10t)))##. Calculate the work done along the curve ##\Gamma## for ##t\in \left [ 0,2\pi \right ]##
the final result is than also zero!
Do you mean
##\vec{r(t)}=(\sin(3t),\cos (t(5+sin(10t))),\sin (t(5+sin(10t))))##?
If so, is it not clear that ##\vec{r(0)}=\vec{r(2\pi)}##?

Which can only be explained IF the curve ##\Gamma## is connected.
No. If ##\Gamma## is a closed loop then the work will be zero, but the work could happen to be zero even if ##\Gamma## is not a closed loop.

Try this: dr = (dx, dy, dz). Take the dot product F dot dr and see what you get. (It's going to be an exact differential).

Chet

haruspex said:
Do you mean
##\vec{r(t)}=(\sin(3t),\cos (t(5+sin(10t))),\sin (t(5+sin(10t))))##?
If so, is it not clear that ##\vec{r(0)}=\vec{r(2\pi)}##?No. If ##\Gamma## is a closed loop then the work will be zero, but the work could happen to be zero even if ##\Gamma## is not a closed loop.

No, the parametrization is ##\vec{r(t)}=(\sin(3t),(5+sin(10t))\cos t,(5+\sin (10t))\sin t)## .

Aha, ok, I forgot about that. So ##\Gamma## can be a closed loop or it can be anything else, but it just so happens that after ##2\pi## the function is at the same potential as in the beginning.

Chestermiller said:
Try this: dr = (dx, dy, dz). Take the dot product F dot dr and see what you get. (It's going to be an exact differential).

Chet

##\int \vec{F}d\vec{r}=\int (e^y+z^2\cos x)dx+\int xe^ydy+\int 2z\sin xdz=2xe^y+2z^2\sin x##

Sorry to ask you (i feel so stupid at the moment), but, why is this important?However, we all agree that work done along that curve is 0, right?

brkomir said:
##\int \vec{F}d\vec{r}=\int (e^y+z^2\cos x)dx+\int xe^ydy+\int 2z\sin xdz=2xe^y+2z^2\sin x##

Sorry to ask you (i feel so stupid at the moment), but, why is this important?

However, we all agree that work done along that curve is 0, right?
I didn't say to write it as an integral. I said to write it as
Fxdx+Fydy+Fzdz=(eydx+xeydy)+(z2cosxdx+2z sinx dz)=d(xey+z2sinx)

And because this is an exact differential, than F is potential?

brkomir said:
And because this is an exact differential, than F is potential?
Sure. More precisely, F is a force described by a potential.

Chestermiller said:
Sure. More precisely, F is a force described by a potential.
That's what brkomir showed in the first post.

brkomir said:
No, the parametrization is ##\vec{r(t)}=(\sin(3t),(5+sin(10t))\cos t,(5+\sin (10t))\sin t)## .
OK, but the question still applies: is it not clear that r(t+2π) = r(t)?

Related to Work done along the curve in 3 dimensional space

What is work done along a curve in 3 dimensional space?

Work done along a curve in 3 dimensional space is a mathematical concept that measures the amount of energy expended to move an object from one point to another along a specific path in 3 dimensional space. It takes into account both the distance traveled and the force applied in the direction of motion.

How is work done along a curve in 3 dimensional space calculated?

The calculation of work done along a curve in 3 dimensional space involves integrating the dot product of the force vector and the displacement vector along the path of the curve. This can be represented by the equation W = ∫F·ds, where W is work, F is force, and ds is the infinitesimal displacement along the curve.

What are some real-world applications of work done along a curve in 3 dimensional space?

Work done along a curve in 3 dimensional space has many practical applications, such as calculating the amount of energy needed to move an object through a complex path in space, determining the efficiency of machines and engines, and analyzing the motion of particles in 3D systems.

What factors affect the amount of work done along a curve in 3 dimensional space?

The amount of work done along a curve in 3 dimensional space is affected by several factors, including the magnitude and direction of the force applied, the distance traveled, the curvature of the path, and the mass of the object being moved. Additionally, the presence of external forces, such as friction, can also impact the amount of work done.

How is work done along a curve in 3 dimensional space related to potential and kinetic energy?

Work done along a curve in 3 dimensional space is closely related to both potential and kinetic energy. As work is done on an object, it gains kinetic energy, which is the energy of motion. On the other hand, potential energy is associated with the position of an object within a system, and work can also be done to change an object's potential energy as it moves along a curve in 3 dimensional space.