Equation of a circle / polar coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation of a circle in polar coordinates and clarifies that a represents the radius of the circle and (r0, phi) represents the center. The variables r and theta are also mentioned and are compared to the variables x and y in rectangular coordinates. It is explained that r and theta represent a set of points on the circle, not inside it. The conversation ends with a question about the meaning of "on" and an apology for any difficulty due to English not being the first language.
Marioqwe
I was looking at the equation of a circle in polar coordinates on wikipedia,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_coordinate_system

and I understand that a is the radius of the circle, and that (r0, phi) is the center of the circle. But I don't see what the r and theta refer to :(.

Physics news on Phys.org
Marioqwe said:
... I understand that a is the radius of the circle, and that (r0, phi) is the center of the circle. But I don't see what the r and theta refer to :(.
r and θ are just the variables in the equation.

Just like in rectangular coordinates, given a center (h, k) and radius r,
(x - h)2 + (y - k)2 = r2
is the equation of the circle, and x and y are the variables.

Or am I misunderstanding your question? :confused:

So do they just represent a point inside the circle?

Marioqwe said:
So do they just represent a point inside the circle?
No, they represent a set of points that lie on the circle, not inside.

What do you mean by [[/B]on[/B]? And by the way; sorry for giving you a hard time. English is not my first language.

See attached picture. The red point is on the circle, while the blue point is inside the circle.

Attachments

• Circle.jpg
    Circle.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 469

What is the equation of a circle in polar coordinates?

The equation of a circle in polar coordinates is r = a, where r represents the distance from the origin and a represents the radius of the circle.

How do you convert from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates?

To convert from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates, you can use the equations r = sqrt(x^2 + y^2) and θ = atan(y/x), where r represents the distance from the origin and θ represents the angle from the positive x-axis.

What is the relationship between polar coordinates and the unit circle?

Polar coordinates are often used to represent points on the unit circle, where the radius is equal to 1. In this case, the equation becomes r = 1 and θ represents the angle from the positive x-axis.

How do you graph a circle using polar coordinates?

To graph a circle using polar coordinates, you can plot points with different values of r and θ on a polar coordinate grid. These points will form a circular shape when connected.

What is the relationship between the equation of a circle and the Pythagorean Theorem?

The equation of a circle in Cartesian coordinates, x^2 + y^2 = r^2, is derived from the Pythagorean Theorem. When converting to polar coordinates, this equation becomes r^2 = a^2 + b^2, where a and b represent the coordinates of a point on the circle. This shows that the Pythagorean Theorem can be used to find the distance from the origin to any point on the circle.