Equation of a plane that is parallel to yz-plane

In summary: To make it parallel to the yz plane you just need x constant. To pass through the given point the constant must be 2. So the generic form is (2, s, t). Thanks for everyone's help!
Rawhem

Homework Statement

Find the vector equation of a plane that contains the point P(2,-3,0) and is parallel to the yz-plane

Homework Equations

Vector equation is in the form... Pi: r = point + t(u) + s(v) s,t element of real numbers

The Attempt at a Solution

We know that the direction vectors (u and v) for a plane parallel to the yz-plane don't have x = 0 (no x component).

So the simplest answer to this would be...

Pi: r = P(2,-3,0) + t(0,1,0) + s(0,0,1) s,t element of R

However, another possible answer would be...

Pi: r = P(2,-3,0) + t(0,1,1) + s(0,1,2) s,t element of R

Although the second answer is a little more complex, it defines a plane that is parallel to the yz-plane.

However, my teacher insists that the plane I defined (second answer) isn't parallel to the yz-plane. Is there some way for me to prove that it is? (I am trying to explain my visualization to her but she is very insistent that my answer is wrong).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rawhem said:

Homework Statement

Find the vector equation of a plane that contains the point P(2,-3,0) and is parallel to the yz-plane

Homework Equations

Vector equation is in the form... Pi: r = point + t(u) + s(v) s,t element of real numbers

The Attempt at a Solution

We know that the direction vectors (u and v) for a plane parallel to the yz-plane don't have x = 0 (no x component).

So the simplest answer to this would be...

Pi: r = P(2,-3,0) + t(0,1,0) + s(0,0,1) s,t element of R

However, another possible answer would be...

Pi: r = P(2,-3,0) + t(0,1,1) + s(0,1,2) s,t element of R

Although the second answer is a little more complex, it defines a plane that is parallel to the yz-plane.

However, my teacher insists that the plane I defined (second answer) isn't parallel to the yz-plane. Is there some way for me to prove that it is? (I am trying to explain my visualization to her but she is very insistent that my answer is wrong).

A plane is parallel to the yz plane if it's tangent vectors are normal to the x unit vector (1,0,0). Show that's true for dPi/ds and dPi/dt. And also show (0,1,1) and (0,1,2) are linearly independent, just to make sure you've got a plane and not a line.

Note, by the way. that, in two dimensions, a line that is "parallel to the x-axis", that is, parallel to the line y= 0, is of the form y= c for some number c. Similarly a line that is "parallel to the y-axis", that is, parallel to the line x= 0, is of the for x= c for some number c.

In three dimensions, the "xy-plane" is the plane z= 0. Any plane parallel to it has equation z= c for some number c.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for everyone's help!

The way I proved it to my teacher is by showing that the cross product of the direction vectors of each plane are a multiple of each other.

e.g. n1 = dir1 x dir2
n2 = dir2 x dir3

if n1 = kn2 then Pi: r1 = t(dir1) + s(dir2) is parallel to Pi: r2 = a(dir2) + b(dir3)

To make it parallel to the yz plane you just need x constant. To pass through the given point the constant must be 2. So the generic form is (2, s, t).

Rawhem said:
Thanks for everyone's help!

The way I proved it to my teacher is by showing that the cross product of the direction vectors of each plane are a multiple of each other.

e.g. n1 = dir1 x dir2
n2 = dir2 x dir3

if n1 = kn2 then Pi: r1 = t(dir1) + s(dir2) is parallel to Pi: r2 = a(dir2) + b(dir3)
Actually, the simplest way to define the cross product is to define [itex]\vec{i}\times \vec{j}= \vec{k}[/itex], [itex]\vec{j}\times\vec{k}= \vec{i}[/itex], [itex]\vec{k}\times\vec{i}= \vec{j}[/itex] (i.e. cyclically) and extend to all vectors by defining it to be both "linear" and "anti-commutative".

1. What is the equation of a plane that is parallel to the yz-plane?

The equation of a plane that is parallel to the yz-plane is x = constant, where the constant value represents the distance of the plane from the yz-plane on the x-axis.

2. How is the equation of a plane parallel to the yz-plane different from the equation of the yz-plane?

The equation of the yz-plane is y = constant or z = constant, which means that the plane is parallel to the y or z axis, respectively. However, the equation of a plane parallel to the yz-plane is x = constant, which means that the plane is parallel to the x-axis.

3. Can there be multiple planes that are parallel to the yz-plane?

Yes, there can be an infinite number of planes that are parallel to the yz-plane. This is because the constant value in the equation, representing the distance from the yz-plane, can take on any real number value.

4. What do the values in the equation x = constant represent?

In the equation x = constant, the constant value represents the distance of the plane from the yz-plane on the x-axis. This means that all points on the plane will have the same x-coordinate, while the y and z coordinates can vary.

5. How can the equation of a plane parallel to the yz-plane be visualized?

A plane parallel to the yz-plane can be visualized as a vertical plane that does not intersect the yz-plane. This can be seen in a 3D coordinate system, where the y and z axes are perpendicular and the x-axis is parallel to the yz-plane.