Let A, B, and C be vectors in R3....prove r lies in a plane

In summary: A } \times \vec { \vec { r(0) } } +\vec { B } \times \vec { \vec { r(0) } } \\ \vec { r(t) } =\frac { 1 }{ 2 } \vec { A } { t }^{ 2 }+\vec { A } t+\vec { B } t+\vec { B } cost-\vec { B } +\vec { C } \end{align*}$$In summary, the equation of the tangent line to the curve at ##\vec { r(0) } =\vec { C }## is$$\vec { T }
Sho Kano

Homework Statement

##\vec { \dot { r } } =(t+1)\vec { A } +(1-sint)\vec { B } \quad \vec { r(0) } =\vec { C } ##
a. Find an equation of the tangent line to the curve at ##\vec { r(0) } =\vec { C } ##.
b. Use a definite integral to find ##\vec { r(t) } ##
c. If ##A## and ##B## are non parallel, prove ##\vec { r(t) } ## lines in a plane.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a. ##\vec { T } =\vec { C } +t(\vec { A } +\vec { B } )##
b. ##\vec { r(t) } =\frac { 1 }{ 2 } \vec { A } { t }^{ 2 }+\vec { A } t+\vec { B } t+\vec { B } cost-\vec { B } +\vec { C } ##
c. How can I use an equation of a plane to prove this part?

Physics news on Phys.org
A vector equation of a plane through ##\vec C## is
$$\{\vec C+s\vec A +t\vec B\ :\ s,t\in\mathbb R\}$$
where ##\vec A,\vec B## are two non-parallel vectors.

The equation you have derived in (b) can be expressed in that format, hence all the points in the curve lie in the plane defined by that formula.

If you have been given a different form for the vector equation of a plane, a few more steps may be necessary.

andrewkirk said:
A vector equation of a plane through ##\vec C## is
$$\{\vec C+s\vec A +t\vec B\ :\ s,t\in\mathbb R\}$$
where ##\vec A,\vec B## are two non-parallel vectors.

The equation you have derived in (b) can be expressed in that format, hence all the points in the curve lie in the plane defined by that formula.

If you have been given a different form for the vector equation of a plane, a few more steps may be necessary.
Oh I haven't seen that equation before. The one we were taught is ##\vec { N } \cdot (\vec { P } -\vec { { P }_{ 0 } } )=0##, where ##\vec { N } ## is normal to ##(\vec { P } -\vec { { P }_{ 0 } } )##. I can't figure out where to get ##\vec { N } ## from

Where can I find more on that equation? I've tried google already

Actually, on reflection, what I gave is a formula for a plane rather than an equation. The question doesn't say whether to use a formula or an equation, but since you've been given the equation you quote in your last post, it's best to use that.

In your equation, the arbitrary point on the plane is ##\vec P##, the specified point on the plane is ##\vec P_0## and the normal to the plane is ##\vec N##.

So the challenge is to find values for ##\vec P_0## and ##\vec N## such that all points ##\vec r(t)## on the curve satisfy the equation when we substitute them for ##\vec P##.

Finding a satisfactory ##P_0## is easy. Given the equation you derived in (b), what is a vector (point) that must be on the plane containing the curve?

Then, to find ##\vec N##, how can we write a formula for a vector that is perpendicular to the vector obtained by subtracting ##\vec P_0## from the right hand side of the formula in (b)?

andrewkirk said:
Actually, on reflection, what I gave is a formula for a plane rather than an equation. The question doesn't say whether to use a formula or an equation, but since you've been given the equation you quote in your last post, it's best to use that.

In your equation, the arbitrary point on the plane is ##\vec P##, the specified point on the plane is ##\vec P_0## and the normal to the plane is ##\vec N##.

So the challenge is to find values for ##\vec P_0## and ##\vec N## such that all points ##\vec r(t)## on the curve satisfy the equation when we substitute them for ##\vec P##.

Finding a satisfactory ##P_0## is easy. Given the equation you derived in (b), what is a vector (point) that must be on the plane containing the curve?

Then, to find ##\vec N##, how can we write a formula for a vector that is perpendicular to the vector obtained by subtracting ##\vec P_0## from the right hand side of the formula in (b)?
not sure if I have the right idea but if the curve does lie in a plane, then then any derivative lies in the same plane as any position. So, their cross product will give the appropriate normal vector. If the curve doesn't lie in a plane, then the dot product will not equal zero when we plug in ##r(t)##.
##\vec { \dot { r(0) } } =\vec { A } +\vec { B } \quad \vec { r(0) } =\vec { C } \\ \vec { N } =\vec { r(0) } \times \vec { \dot { r(0) } } =\left( \vec { A } +\vec { B } \right) \times \vec { C } \\ \vec { N } \cdot \left( \vec { r(t) } -\vec { r(0) } \right) =0\\ \left[ \left( \vec { A } +\vec { B } \right) \times \vec { C } \right] \cdot \left( \vec { r(t) } -\vec { C } \right) =0##
when I do the computation above, I end up with ##\left( cost-\frac { 1 }{ 2 } { t }^{ 2 }-1 \right) \left( \vec { A } \times \vec { C } \cdot \vec { B } \right) =0##?

You have an acceptable answer for ##\vec P_0##, but not for ##\vec N##.

To work out ##\vec N##, you might find it easier to think about the plane that is parallel to the plane of the curve but passes through the origin. If you can find an expression for the normal to that plane, using only ##\vec A,\vec B,\vec C## (and not necessarily all of them) then you can use the same normal for the plane of the curve, since parallel planes have the same normal.

andrewkirk said:
You have an acceptable answer for ##\vec P_0##, but not for ##\vec N##.

To work out ##\vec N##, you might find it easier to think about the plane that is parallel to the plane of the curve but passes through the origin. If you can find an expression for the normal to that plane, using only ##\vec A,\vec B,\vec C## (and not necessarily all of them) then you can use the same normal for the plane of the curve, since parallel planes have the same normal.
Ah, I think I have to sort of "guess" to get the normal vector I tried ##\vec { A } \times \vec { B } ## and it worked! So I have to somehow "use" the given information and hope it works.

1. What is the definition of a vector in R3?

A vector in R3 is an element of a three-dimensional vector space, which can be represented by a three-dimensional coordinate system. It has both magnitude and direction and can be translated and scaled without changing its direction.

2. How do you prove that a point r lies in a plane defined by vectors A, B, and C?

To prove that a point r lies in a plane defined by vectors A, B, and C, we can use the cross product of vectors A and B to find a normal vector to the plane. Then, we can use the dot product of this normal vector and vector C to determine if they are perpendicular. If the dot product is equal to 0, then point r lies in the plane.

3. Can a point r lie in more than one plane defined by vectors A, B, and C?

No, a point r can only lie in one plane defined by vectors A, B, and C. This is because a plane is uniquely defined by a set of three non-collinear points, which in this case are the three vectors A, B, and C.

4. How does the order of the vectors A, B, and C affect the plane they define?

The order of the vectors A, B, and C does not affect the plane they define. As long as the three vectors are non-collinear, they will define the same plane. However, the direction of the normal vector to the plane may change depending on the order of the vectors.

5. Can a point r lie outside of a plane defined by vectors A, B, and C?

Yes, a point r can lie outside of a plane defined by vectors A, B, and C. This can happen if the point is not in the same plane as the three vectors or if it is on the opposite side of the plane from the normal vector. However, if the three vectors are linearly dependent, then any point r that lies on one of the vectors will also lie on the plane defined by the three vectors.