1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation of a surface

1. Sep 19, 2012 #1
    Question:
    a surface consists of all point P such that the distance from P to the plane y = 1 is twice the distance from P to the point Q(0,-1,0). Find the equation for this surface and identify it.

Solution:

the plane y = 1 is all point (x,y,z) such that y = 1.. So can i label an arbitrary point on the y plane (x,1,z)?

I will label the point (x,1,z) Point G
    and i will assign the ordered triple (x0,y0,z0) to Point P

If that step if valid I then came up with the following equation....

|PG|2 = (2|GQ|)^2.

Next I proceeded to solve for x0,y0,z0 for LHS which should give me the equation of the surface...

Is this correct?

I hope my explanation to my solution is understandable

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Without seeing your work, I can't tell whether it is correct. It might be as long as there are no ##x_0\, y_0\, z_0## in your equation. You have the general idea. But I would start by labeling an arbitrary point on the surface by ##P=(x,y,z)##. Then the closest point on the plane ##y=1## is ##(x,1,z)##. Then do what you did. No subscripts needed.

4. Sep 19, 2012 #3
    letting ##P=(x,y,z)## the distance from P to the plane y = 1 is
    |y - 1|

Distance from P to Q(0,-1,0) is
    √[ x2 + (y+1)2 + z2]

Now from the problem we know that

|y - 1|2 = 4([ x2 + (y+1)2 + z2)

y2 - 2y + 1 = 4x2 + 4y2 + 8y + 4 + 4z2
    -3y2 - 10y - 4x2 -4z2 = 3
    -3(y + (5/3))2 - 4x2 - 4z2 = 3 - (25/3) = -16/3

(Divide by - 16/3)

9/6(y + (5/3))2 + 3/4x2 + 3/4z2 = 1

The equation satisfying the above problem is an ellipsoid with center (0,-5/3,0)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook