1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function f(x,y,z) of three variables becomes z = g(x,y)

1. May 28, 2016 #1
    Hello everyone,

I have a theoretical calculus question. I am working on a exercise where you have to consider f(x,y,z) and express the variable z as a function of x and y on a certain level surface around a certain (x0,y0,z0).

I found out that the condition for this to be able is that the triple (x0,y0,z0) is such that ∂f/∂z > 0. I am able to do the rest of the exercise because I know the rules as to how to find derivatives of this g(x,y) and other things, but I wanna know exactly why the condition stated above works.

What I can think of myself: There has to be a positive change in f when z changes is the meaning of the condition. I must be overlooking something, because I don't see why this makes z expressable in terms of x and y. If anyone could clarify, thank you very much!

Kind regards,
    Tom

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2016 #2

Math_QED

Homework Helper

No need to write in bold. Could you maybe give the question?

4. May 28, 2016 #3
    Sorry I didn't see I was writing in bold.
    The question is: Why does the condition ∂f/∂z > 0 make g(x,y) exist on the level surface? I don't understand the theory behind it.

5. May 28, 2016 #4

pasmith

Homework Helper

To write [itex]z = g(x,y)[/itex] you need [itex]z[/itex] to be uniquely determined by [itex](x,y)[/itex]. In other words, [itex]f(x,y,z) = C[/itex] must have a unique solution for [itex]z[/itex] given [itex](x,y)[/itex]. This can be guaranteed by insisting that [itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial z} >0[/itex] so that given [itex](x,y)[/itex] there is at most one [itex]z[/itex] such that [itex]f(x,y,z) = C[/itex].

6. May 28, 2016 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First of all: it works equally well if ##\partial f /\partial z < 0## instead. All you need is ##\partial f /\partial z \neq 0##.

Denote the partial derivatives by subscripts, so that ##f_x = \partial f/\partial x##, etc. Geometrically: the gradient vector ##\nabla f = (f_x, f_y, f_z)## is perpendicular to the tangent plane of ##f## at ##(x,y,z)##, so if ##f_z(x_0,y_0,z_0) = 0## the tangent plane is vertical (parallel to the ##z##-axis) at ##(x_0,y_0,z_0)##. That means that ##z## could not be a nice, smooth, single-valued function of ##x## and ##y## in the immediate vicinity of ##(x_0,y_0)##.

Alternatively, from ##f(x,,y,z) =0## we have ##f_x dx + f_y dy + f_z dz = 0##, so if ##f_z \neq 0## we can divide through by it to get
    [tex] dz = -\frac{f_z}{f_z} dx - \frac{f_y}{f_z} dy. [/tex]
    This is a partial differential equation to determine ##z## in terms of ##x## and ##y##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted