Equation of Continuity of charge for point charges

In summary, the conversation discusses the demonstration of the expressions for charge and current density of point charges satisfying the equation of continuity of charge. The equations for charge and current density are given in spherical coordinates, and the conversation explores the integral form of the equation of continuity of charge. The next step is to use a change of variable to simplify the equations and continue the proof.
transience

Homework Statement

I am looking to demonstrate that the expressions for the charge and current density of point charges satisfy the equation of continuity of charge. Intuitively it makes sense to me but I run into trouble with the delta function when I try to prove it mathematically.

Homework Equations

[tex]\rho(\vec{x},t)=\sum_i q_i \delta (\vec{x}-\vec{x}_i(t))[/tex]

[tex]\vec{j}(\vec{x},t)=\sum_i q_i v_i(t) \delta (\vec{x}-\vec{x}_i(t))[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\rho(\vec{x},t)=- \nabla \cdot \vec{j}(\vec{x},t)[/tex]

[tex]\delta^{3}(\vec{x}-\vec{x}')=\frac{1}{r^2\sin\theta} \delta(r-r') \delta(\theta-\theta')\delta(\phi-\phi')[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I start by constructing a sphere of radius [tex]a[/tex] centered at [tex]\vec{x}=0[/tex]

Using the integral form of the equation of continuity of charge in spherical coordinates I get
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\int\int\int_V \rho(\vec{x},t) dV=-\int\int_S \vec{j}(\vec{x},t)dS [/tex]

Then
[tex]LHS=\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\int\int\int_V \rho(\vec{x},t) dV[/tex]
[tex]LHS=\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\int_0^{2 \pi} \int_0^\pi \int_0^a \sum_i q_i \frac{1}{r^2\sin\theta} \delta(r-r_i(t)) \delta(\theta-\theta_i(t))\delta(\phi-\phi_i(t)) r^2\sin{\theta} dr d \theta d \phi[/tex]

Working the maths through gives me
[tex]LHS=\sum_i q_i \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\int_0^a \delta(r-r_i(t)) dr[/tex]

Then I do basically the same thing on the right hand side
[tex]RHS=-\int_0^{2 \pi}\int_0^{\pi} \sum_i q_i v_{ir}(t) \frac{1}{r^2\sin\theta} \delta(r-r_i(t)) \delta(\theta-\theta_i(t))\delta(\phi-\phi_i(t)) a^2\sin{\theta} dr d \theta d \phi[/tex]

Which works out to be

[tex]RHS= \sum_i q_i v_{ir}(t) \frac{a^2}{r^2} \delta(r-r_i(t))[/tex]

I can't figure out where to go from here, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
using a change of variable

[tex] \delta (r-r_i(t)) = \delta (r'(t)) [/tex]

your LHS becomes

[tex] \sum_i q_i \frac{\partial r'(t)}{\partial t}\int_0^a \frac{\partial}{\partial r'} \delta(r'(t)) dr' = \sum_i q_i v_i (t) \delta (r - r_i (t) )[/tex]

as to the factors of a/r I'm not sure

1. What is the equation of continuity of charge for point charges?

The equation of continuity of charge for point charges is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that states that the total amount of charge entering a given region must be equal to the total amount of charge leaving that region, taking into account any changes in the charge density within the region. Mathematically, it can be written as ∇ · J + ∂ρ/∂t = 0, where J is the current density and ρ is the charge density.

2. What is the significance of the equation of continuity of charge for point charges?

The equation of continuity of charge is important because it ensures that electric charge is conserved, meaning that it cannot be created or destroyed. This law is essential for understanding the behavior of electric currents and electromagnetic fields.

3. How is the equation of continuity of charge for point charges derived?

The equation of continuity of charge can be derived from Maxwell's equations, specifically the Gauss's law for electricity and the Ampere's law. By combining these equations and taking into account the conservation of charge, the equation of continuity can be derived.

4. Can the equation of continuity of charge be applied to all types of charges?

Yes, the equation of continuity of charge is a general law that applies to all types of charges, whether they are positive or negative, stationary or moving. It also applies to both point charges and continuous charge distributions.

5. How is the equation of continuity of charge used in practical applications?

The equation of continuity of charge is used in many practical applications, such as in circuit analysis to determine the flow of electric current, in electromagnetic field simulations to predict the behavior of charged particles, and in the study of fluid dynamics to understand the flow of charged fluids. It is a fundamental tool in understanding and predicting the behavior of electric charge in various systems.