Equation of Continuity of charge for point charges

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
transience
Messages
14
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



I am looking to demonstrate that the expressions for the charge and current density of point charges satisfy the equation of continuity of charge. Intuitively it makes sense to me but I run into trouble with the delta function when I try to prove it mathematically.

Homework Equations



[tex]\rho(\vec{x},t)=\sum_i q_i \delta (\vec{x}-\vec{x}_i(t))[/tex]

[tex]\vec{j}(\vec{x},t)=\sum_i q_i v_i(t) \delta (\vec{x}-\vec{x}_i(t))[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\rho(\vec{x},t)=- \nabla \cdot \vec{j}(\vec{x},t)[/tex]

[tex]\delta^{3}(\vec{x}-\vec{x}')=\frac{1}{r^2\sin\theta} \delta(r-r') \delta(\theta-\theta')\delta(\phi-\phi')[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



I start by constructing a sphere of radius [tex]a[/tex] centered at [tex]\vec{x}=0[/tex]

Using the integral form of the equation of continuity of charge in spherical coordinates I get
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\int\int\int_V \rho(\vec{x},t) dV=-\int\int_S \vec{j}(\vec{x},t)dS[/tex]

Then
[tex]LHS=\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\int\int\int_V \rho(\vec{x},t) dV[/tex]
[tex]LHS=\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\int_0^{2 \pi} \int_0^\pi \int_0^a \sum_i q_i \frac{1}{r^2\sin\theta} \delta(r-r_i(t)) \delta(\theta-\theta_i(t))\delta(\phi-\phi_i(t)) r^2\sin{\theta} dr d \theta d \phi[/tex]

Working the maths through gives me
[tex]LHS=\sum_i q_i \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\int_0^a \delta(r-r_i(t)) dr[/tex]

Then I do basically the same thing on the right hand side
[tex]RHS=-\int_0^{2 \pi}\int_0^{\pi} \sum_i q_i v_{ir}(t) \frac{1}{r^2\sin\theta} \delta(r-r_i(t)) \delta(\theta-\theta_i(t))\delta(\phi-\phi_i(t)) a^2\sin{\theta} dr d \theta d \phi[/tex]

Which works out to be

[tex]RHS= \sum_i q_i v_{ir}(t) \frac{a^2}{r^2} \delta(r-r_i(t))[/tex]

I can't figure out where to go from here, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
using a change of variable

[tex]\delta (r-r_i(t)) = \delta (r'(t))[/tex]

your LHS becomes

[tex]\sum_i q_i \frac{\partial r'(t)}{\partial t}\int_0^a \frac{\partial}{\partial r'} \delta(r'(t)) dr' = \sum_i q_i v_i (t) \delta (r - r_i (t) )[/tex]

as to the factors of a/r I'm not sure