Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation of motion from the action

1. Sep 18, 2015 #1
    Hello Physics Forums!

Supposing that we have an action that says:
    $$L=\frac{1}{2}R-g_{C\bar{D}}\partial_{\mu}z^C\partial^{\mu}\bar{z}^D+\frac{1}{4} + \frac{1}{4}ImM_{IJ}F^I_{\mu\nu}\cdot F^{J\mu\nu} +\frac{1}{4}ReM_{IJ}F^I_{\mu\nu}\cdot \tilde{F}^{J\mu\nu}$$
    where $$\tilde{F}^I_{\mu\nu}=\frac{1}{2}\epsilon_{\mu\nu}^{\mu'\nu'}F^I_{\mu'\nu'}$$
    If I want to find the equation of motion of this, I know I can start from action and use the Euler Lagrange equation or directly use d*F=0 (Maxwell's equation).

This is one of the very rare times where I encounter general relativity as I am still a second year physics student. I have seen this sort of action (but way simpler) in my classical mechanics course) where we almost always use the Euler-Lagrange equation or vary the action with respect to the functional term and set it equal to zero and VOILA! you get the equation of motion you need. Here though I am finding a little of difficulty. The thing is that what was found for this action was the following answer:
    $$d(ReM_{IJ}F^J+ImM_{IJ}\tilde{F}^J)=0.$$
    I have tried so manyy ways to derive this but failed at it.

First, I tried to do it in the general way thinking I would avoid mistakes so I started by transforming the ##\tilde{F}^{\mu\nu}## to ##\frac{1}{2}\epsilon^{\rho\sigma\mu\nu}F_{\rho\sigma}## to get rid of the tilde and then deriving the action with respect to ##F^{\kappa\lambda}## and then set it equal to zero. BUT the procedure seems to take forever and I am not getting the answer above(It is too long I couldn't write it down, but if it matters I could type few of the details). I guess there is a better track to take, but I have no idea what it might be. On some websites, I found that instead of ##\partial^{\mu}F_{\mu\nu}## that we usually use in Classical Mechanics, there is now a G term, for example they write the maxwell equation as ##\partial^{\mu}G_{\mu\nu}## or something like that. You might relate to this better than I am. I am only trying to tell you what I have searched for before finally creating an account on this forum.

I am trying to practice those from the web in a spontaneous manner as my professor said she will bring us a bonus part in the coming exam that has to do with general relativity after she taught us a little of einstein indices operations. I know she might not bring this tough level but I am curious to know how things work in General Relativity and why if I followed the very classical way, I am not getting the answer above for the equation of motion? Any advice will be useful.

Yours,
    Emilie.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2015 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The ##F^I## are not the fundamental fields. Presumably they are given by ##F^I \equiv d A^I##. You need to vary the action with respect to the ##A^I##, not the ##F^I##.

4. Sep 19, 2015 #3
    But I know that if A is not explicitly shown in the action, I can just go ahead and vary the action with respect to the F. Is this wrong?

5. Sep 19, 2015 #4

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Very wrong. For one, no derivatives of F appear in the action, so you'll just get algebraic equations of motion that way.

6. Sep 19, 2015 #5
    What do you mean by "algebraic"equations of motion? Does this mean, I get this form ##d(ReM_{IJ}F^J+ImM_{IJ}\tilde{F}^J)=0##? Is this the algebraic form? Because this is all I need.

7. Sep 19, 2015 #6

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I mean the EoM won't have any derivatives in them, and there are no dynamics.

No, because ##d## is a derivative.

Try something simpler first, like this:

$$S = -\frac14 \int F_{\mu\nu} F^{\mu\nu} \, d^4x, \qquad F \equiv d A.$$
    You should be able to obtain

$$d \star F = 0$$

8. Sep 19, 2015 #7
    I will present what I did here:

$$S=-\frac{1}{4}\int{F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}d^4x}$$
    $$=-\frac{1}{4}\int{\delta F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}d^4x+F_{\mu\nu}\delta F^{\mu\nu}d^x}$$
    $$=-\frac{1}{4}\int{\delta(\partial_{\mu}A_{\nu}-\partial_{\nu}A_{\mu})F^{\mu\nu}d^4x+F_{\mu\nu}\delta(\partial^{\mu}A^{\nu}-\partial^{\nu}A^{\mu})d^4x}$$
    I then expand terms,
    $$=-\frac{1}{4}\int{(\partial_{\mu}\delta A_{\nu}F^{\mu\nu}-\partial_{\mu}\delta A_{\nu}F^{\nu\mu}+F_{\mu\nu}\partial^{\mu}g^{\nu\nu}\delta A_{\nu} -g^{\nu\nu}F_{\nu\mu}\partial^{\mu}\delta A_{\nu})d^4x}$$
    $$=-\frac{1}{2}\int{(F^{\mu\nu}\partial_{\mu}+F^{\mu\nu}\partial_{\mu})\delta A_{\nu}}$$
    setting this equal to zero, I get
    $$F^{\mu\nu}\partial_{\mu}+F^{\mu\nu}\partial_{\mu}=0$$
    where I do not get
    $$d*F=0$$
    Maybe I did a mistake somewhere.. @Ben Niehoff

9. Sep 19, 2015 #8

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

At this point, you need to integrate by parts, so that ##\delta A_\mu## appears without any derivatives acting on it

10. Sep 19, 2015 #9
    Oh, then:
    $$-\frac{1}{2}\int{2F^{\mu\nu}\partial_{\mu}\delta A_{nu}}$$
    $$=-\int{F^{\mu\nu}\partial_{\mu}\delta A_{\nu}}$$
    integration by parts
    $$-F^{\mu\nu}\delta A_{\nu}+\int{\partial_{\mu}F^{\mu\nu}\delta A_{\nu}}$$
    first terms goes away, and we set the second equal to zero to get
    $$\partial_{\mu}F^{\mu\nu}=0$$
    I am afraid I am not getting the dual of F here.. @Ben Niehoff

11. Sep 19, 2015 #10

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't suppose you considered writing out ##d \star F## in indices...

12. Sep 19, 2015 #11
    Sorry I don't know what you mean. As I have mentioned, I am a second year student and haven't really taken a course in General Relativity. If you may explain more by what you mean? @Ben Niehoff

13. Sep 19, 2015 #12

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is this a homework problem? If you haven't done any GR, then how did you end up with an action for supergravity?

14. Sep 19, 2015 #13
    No this is not a homework. I am practicing different actions from the web in order to be prepared from my exam that will have a bonus question in my advanced classical mechanics course related to those (I mentioned this in my question). This I picked from an arxiv paper. In any case, I am solving a problem you set for me with an action different than the one I presented in my question, isn't this right? @Ben Niehoff

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook