Equation of motion of a Lagrangian density

In summary, the conversation is about deriving the equation of motion from a given Lagrangian density and showing that the resulting field satisfies the Klein-Gordon equation. The attempt at a solution involved using the Euler-Lagrange equations, but the resulting equation of motion had three same indices, which is problematic. The conversation then moves on to discussing the Hamilton principle of extremum action and the use of Green functions in solving the Klein-Gordon equation.
radioactive8

Homework Statement

from the lagrangian density of the form : $$L= -\frac{1}{2} (\partial_m b^m)^2 - \frac{M^2}{2}b^m b_m$$
derive the equation of motion. Then show that the field $$F=\partial_m b^m $$ justify the Klein_Gordon eq.of motion.

Homework Equations

bm is real.

The Attempt at a Solution

from the E-L equations I have reached the following results:

$$\partial_m (\frac{\partial L}{\partial (\partial_m b^m)})= \partial_m \partial_m b^m$$

which I find it to be problematic as I have three same indexes.
The other derivative is : $$\frac{\partial L}{\partial b^m}= M^2 b_m$$

So the eq.of motion is :

$$\partial_m \partial_m b^m= -M^2b_m$$.

I just find the above really odd so I believe I have made a mistake at my calculations.

Physics news on Phys.org
radioactive8 said:
from the E-L equations I have reached the following results:

$$\partial_m (\frac{\partial L}{\partial (\partial_m b^m)})= \partial_m \partial_m b^m$$

which I find it to be problematic as I have three same indexes.
Indeed you should find it problematic. You should never have three of the same indices. Can you show us how you got this from the EL equations?

Likes bhobba
The Lagrange function contain the maximum amount of "dynamical" information about any physical system(composed of particles and various Fields). So any physical system in the nature is "moving" according to
Hamilton principle of extremum ( minimal) Action. Upon variation of the
the previous mentioned functional(the
Action) one can
obtain the Euler-Lagrange equations
which could lead to a Klein-Gordon
non -homogeneous type of equation.
The Green function of a Klein-Gordon
Operator is well known.
If I were in your place I would be more
concerned about the integrals(involved) which contain a Green function multiply by
the "source"-density of current of the
Field. We can end up with a so -called
Iterative method of solving it.
Now at the iterative method we must work together and make improvements.

1. What is the Lagrangian density?

The Lagrangian density is a mathematical quantity that is used in the field of classical mechanics to describe the dynamics of a physical system. It is defined as the difference between the kinetic and potential energies of the system.

2. What is the significance of the Lagrangian density in physics?

The Lagrangian density is a fundamental concept in physics, as it allows us to describe the behavior of physical systems in a unified and elegant way. It is used to derive the equations of motion for a system, which can then be used to make predictions about its behavior.

3. How is the equation of motion of a Lagrangian density derived?

The equation of motion of a Lagrangian density is derived using the principle of least action, which states that a physical system will follow the path that minimizes the action (defined as the integral of the Lagrangian density over time). This leads to the Euler-Lagrange equations, which describe the evolution of the system over time.

4. Can the equation of motion of a Lagrangian density be applied to all physical systems?

Yes, the equation of motion of a Lagrangian density can be applied to all physical systems, from simple particles to complex systems with multiple degrees of freedom. It is a general framework that allows us to analyze the behavior of a wide range of physical systems.

5. How is the Lagrangian density related to the Hamiltonian?

The Hamiltonian of a system is defined as the total energy of the system, which is equal to the sum of the kinetic and potential energies. It is related to the Lagrangian density through a mathematical transformation called the Legendre transformation, which allows us to switch between the two formulations of the equations of motion.