1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation of motion of a mass-spring system

1. Feb 4, 2014 #1
    hi, all. I am trying to derive the equation of motion of a mass spring system without using the
    energy method but I am wrong somewhere and I cant find it, can you help me find where I am
    wrong. Equation of motion of a simple mass spring system is indeed mx''+kx=0 but here I am
    thinking that when we pull the mass, motion arises from the spring force which is trying to bring back the mass and it is -kx due to our choice of negative direction but when the force is negative,
    i.e -kx, the acceleration x'' must also be negative because they are in the same direction and sense. Here their sense both are negative. So equation should be -mx''=-kx(sum of forces equal mass product acceleration) and thus -mx''+kx=0 Can you explain me where I am wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2014 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Exactly. Therefore, writing
    $$
    \ddot{x} = \frac{-k x}{m}
    $$
    ensures that the acceleration ##\ddot{x}## is negative when the displacement ##x## is postive. If you add a minus sign in front of ##m \ddot{x}##, you get a positive acceleration for a positive displacement.

4. Feb 4, 2014 #3

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

I should also add that the base formula is ##F=ma##. Once you have figured out what ##F## is, the equation must be applied directly, without modifying the ##ma## part.

5. Feb 5, 2014 #4
    It is very clear, thanks a lot.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook