Equation of motion of a mass-spring system

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
mech-eng
Messages
826
Reaction score
13
hi, all. I am trying to derive the equation of motion of a mass spring system without using the
energy method but I am wrong somewhere and I can't find it, can you help me find where I am
wrong. Equation of motion of a simple mass spring system is indeed mx''+kx=0 but here I am
thinking that when we pull the mass, motion arises from the spring force which is trying to bring back the mass and it is -kx due to our choice of negative direction but when the force is negative,
i.e -kx, the acceleration x'' must also be negative because they are in the same direction and sense. Here their sense both are negative. So equation should be -mx''=-kx(sum of forces equal mass product acceleration) and thus -mx''+kx=0 Can you explain me where I am wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
mech-eng said:
i.e -kx, the acceleration x'' must also be negative because they are in the same direction and sense.
Exactly. Therefore, writing
$$
\ddot{x} = \frac{-k x}{m}
$$
ensures that the acceleration ##\ddot{x}## is negative when the displacement ##x## is positive. If you add a minus sign in front of ##m \ddot{x}##, you get a positive acceleration for a positive displacement.
 
I should also add that the base formula is ##F=ma##. Once you have figured out what ##F## is, the equation must be applied directly, without modifying the ##ma## part.
 
DrClaude said:
Exactly. Therefore, writing
$$
\ddot{x} = \frac{-k x}{m}
$$
ensures that the acceleration ##\ddot{x}## is negative when the displacement ##x## is positive. If you add a minus sign in front of ##m \ddot{x}##, you get a positive acceleration for a positive displacement.

It is very clear, thanks a lot.
 
Last edited: