Force on Body Attached to Spring at Displacement x - A.P. French

In summary, the first equation is a Taylor series for the restoring force, and it reduces to the linear restoring force when the displacement is small. The second equation is the derivative of the first equation, and it shows that the mass is trying to resist displacement by pushing against the spring.
Slimy0233
1685897591153.png

Source: A.P. French's Vibrations and Waves

I do not recognize the first equation, can someone explain how it came to be? The reasoning behind it.

How can force on a body attached to a spring at small displacement x be represented as

1685899566771.png

? I know recognize F = - kx (restoring force)

I realize that the mass is at equilibrium and not rest, thus there were/are multiple forces acting on the spring, thus, I guess my question simplifies, what is the nature of the forces

1685899663451.png

if -kx is restoring force, what are the rest of the forces, can someone please state an example for better understanding?

edit: Good God, creating a post is no joke :')
edit 2: The math which was visible at first is not visible now.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first equation is just a Taylor series. Whatever form the restoring force takes (not just Hooke's law), you can Taylor expand it into a series, a polynomial of some high (possibly infinite) order. But if we agree to restrict ourselves to the region where ##x## is small then ##x^2##, ##x^3##, etcetera, must be really small and we can neglect all terms except the ##x## one. Then the force reduces to the linear restoring force you are familiar with.

(That's a paraphrase of the paragraph between the two marked equations, by the way.)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Slimy0233
Ibix said:
The first equation is just a Taylor series. Whatever form the restoring force takes (not just Hooke's law), you can Taylor expand it into a series, a polynomial of some high (possibly infinite) order.
I am sorry, can you please explain this more. Especially the "whatever form the restoring force takes" part.

Well, a restoring force is just how strongly a system resists deformation or displacement. It doesn't have to be directly proportional to the displacement. An obvious example is a pendulum, where the restoring force is proportional to the sine of the displacement angle, ##\theta##. But you can expand that sine as a Taylor series, and as long as you keep the angle small then you can neglect the ##\theta^3## and higher terms (the even power terms are zero in this case). This is the formal justification for writing "##\sin\theta\approx\theta## for small ##\theta##". Once you have done that, you have justified modelling a small-amplitude pendulum as a simple harmonic oscillator.

(And, although French doesn't mention it above, you can find out how big ##\theta## has to be for the ##\theta^3## term to matter, and hence how small a "small" amplitude actually must be.)

• Love
Likes Slimy0233
So, in the case of the pendulum, the first equation you have marked would be $$\begin{eqnarray*}
F(\theta)&=&-mg\sin\theta\\
&=&-mg\left(\theta-\frac{\theta^3}{3!}+\frac{\theta^5}{5!}-\ldots\right)
\end{eqnarray*}$$As long as ##\theta## is small this is approximately ##F(\theta)\approx-mg\theta##. This is the right hand side of the second equation you have marked, which would therefore be$$ml\frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}=-mg\theta$$

Last edited:
  • Care
Likes vanhees71 and Slimy0233
@Ibix These are one of the best answers I have ever received. Thank you very much!!

Beautifully explained!

Likes Ibix
You're very welcome. I don't think the explanation is quite as unparalleled as you say, but I'm glad it helped you.

1. What is the formula for calculating the force on a body attached to a spring at displacement x?

The formula for calculating the force on a body attached to a spring at displacement x is F = -kx, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position.

2. How does the force on a body attached to a spring change with displacement?

The force on a body attached to a spring is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position. This means that as the displacement increases, the force also increases.

3. What is the significance of the negative sign in the force equation for a spring?

The negative sign in the force equation for a spring indicates that the force is in the opposite direction of the displacement. This means that the force is always trying to restore the body to its equilibrium position.

4. How does the spring constant affect the force on a body attached to a spring?

The spring constant, represented by k, determines the stiffness of the spring. A higher spring constant means that the spring is stiffer and will require more force to stretch or compress it. Therefore, a higher spring constant will result in a greater force on a body attached to the spring at a given displacement.

5. Can the force on a body attached to a spring ever be zero?

Yes, the force on a body attached to a spring can be zero when the body is at its equilibrium position. At this point, the displacement is zero and therefore the force is also zero. However, if the body is displaced from the equilibrium position, the force will no longer be zero.