Equation of plane (or maybe its a line ) Linear Algebra

Here the directrix is the x-y plane and the focus is (0,0,4).In summary, the equation satisfied by all points P(x, y, z) that are at the same distance from point F(0, 0, 4) and the plane z = 0 is x^2 + y^2 - 8z + 16 = 0. This can also be visualized as a paraboloid, similar to a 2D parabola, with the directrix being the x-y plane and the focus being the point (0, 0, 4).
fattycakez
Member warned about not using the homework template
The question word for word :

"Write the equation satisfied by all of the points P(x, y, z) that are at the same distance from the point F(0, 0, 4) and the plane z = 0."

I figured I could maybe start by finding the distance between point F and the plane z = 0 but I can't figure out how to represent z=0 as an ax + by + cz + d = 0 equation

I vaguely understand the underlying concepts but I can't quite figure out what the question is asking me to do or how to go about it. I took this question into my community college's tutoring department and even they couldn't figure it out, so any help is greatly appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
fattycakez said:

"Write the equation satisfied by all of the points P(x, y, z) that are at the same distance from the point F(0, 0, 4) and the plane z = 0."

I figured I could maybe start by finding the distance between point F and the plane z = 0

What do you need that for? Draw a picture, it's trivial.

but I can't figure out how to represent z=0 as an ax + by + cz + d = 0 equation

Try a = b= d = 0 and c = ?
I vaguely understand the underlying concepts but I can't quite figure out what the question is asking me to do or how to go about it. I took this question into my community college's tutoring department and even they couldn't figure it out, so any help is greatly appreciated :)

Do you understand distance formulas? Set the required two distances equal.

fattycakez said:

I figured I could maybe start by finding the distance between point F and the plane z = 0 but I can't figure out how to represent z=0 as an ax + by + cz + d = 0 equation

z=0 does have the form ax + by + cz + d = 0. It's a=0, b=0, c=1 and d=0. But you really don't even need that. z=0 is the x-y plane. How far is (x,y,z) from the x-y plane? Just visualize it. Then how far is (x,y,z) from (0,0,4)? Equate the two.

Dick said:
z=0 does have the form ax + by + cz + d = 0. It's a=0, b=0, c=1 and d=0. But you really don't even need that. z=0 is the x-y plane. How far is (x,y,z) from the x-y plane? Just visualize it. Then how far is (x,y,z) from (0,0,4)? Equate the two.

(x,y,z) is z distance from the x-y plane? And the distance from (x,y,z) to (0,0,4) is sqrt(x^2 + y^2 + (4 - z)^2)?

I equated the two and got : x^2 + y^2 - 8z + 16 = 0
Does that look correct?
Thanks for the fast replies :)

fattycakez said:
I equated the two and got : x^2 + y^2 - 8z + 16 = 0

That is correct. Solve it for z and see if you recognize it. What kind of surface is it? Then take it to your community college tutors and ask them to explain why they couldn't help you with it.

Sweet, it looks like a fat 3-d parabola!
Thank you both for your help, I'll let my cc know that strangers on the internet were faster and infinitely more helpful than their tutoring center.

Yep. It's called a paraboloid. If you think back you may remember that in 2d a parabola was defined as the locus of points equidistant from the focus (a point) and the directrix (a line). Same idea.

1. What is the equation of a plane or line in linear algebra?

The equation of a plane in linear algebra is typically written in the form ax + by + cz = d, where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the variables x, y, and z, and d is a constant. This equation represents all the points (x, y, z) that lie on the plane.

2. How do you determine if a point lies on a plane or line in linear algebra?

To determine if a point (x, y, z) lies on a plane or line, you can substitute the values of x, y, and z into the equation of the plane or line. If the resulting equation is true, then the point lies on the plane or line.

3. What is the distance between a point and a plane or line in linear algebra?

The distance between a point (x, y, z) and a plane or line is the perpendicular distance from the point to the plane or line. This can be calculated using the formula: distance = |ax + by + cz - d| / √(a^2 + b^2 + c^2).

4. How do you find the intersection of two planes or lines in linear algebra?

The intersection of two planes or lines can be found by solving the system of equations formed by their respective equations. This can be done by using various methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing.

5. What is the significance of the normal vector in the equation of a plane or line in linear algebra?

The normal vector (a, b, c) in the equation of a plane or line is perpendicular to the plane or line. This vector is important because it can be used to determine the direction of the plane or line, and it is also used in calculating the distance between a point and the plane or line.