Equation of tagent line when x is given, but not Y.

  • Thread starter Thread starter BrianHare
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Line
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
BrianHare
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the equation of the line tangent to y=(x²+3x)² (2x-2)³, when x=8

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution


dy/dx = 56x^6+144x^5-240x^4-320x^3+504x^2-144x...or...8x(x+3)(x+2)(7x-3)(x-1)²
dy/dx (8) = 18282880
y(x) = 21249536

Equation of tangent line at x=8;
y= 18282880x - 125013504

The problem is that this is a calc 1 question, 2 months in. There seems to be an odd space between the (x²+3x)² and (2x-2)³. I think the teacher might forgot to put a + or a - in the problem. What do you all think?

If I use a minus, I get a perfect 5000 for y(8). Making the end equation
y=2168x-12344.

Am I doing something wrong?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If that's how the question was given, that's how it should be answered. Its not your job to try guess their typos =]