Equation of the tangent on the curve

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equation of the tangent plane on a given surface at a specific point, and then finding a point on the surface that is the nearest to a given point. The solution involves using the distance formula and minimizing the distance squared using partial derivatives. The nearest point is determined to be (0,0,1).
imana41
please help me about this
get Equation of the tangent plane on the surface(x^2-2y^2+2z=4) on p0(x0,y0,z0) and then find a point that tangent plane on the curve on this point is Horizontal ?

i get the Equation of the tangent on the surface(x^2-2y^2+2z=4) on p0(x0,y0,z0)
[URL]http://latex.codecogs.com/gif.latex?\bigtriangledown%20f=(2x_{0},-4y_{0},2)[/URL]

and the P equation is [URL]http://latex.codecogs.com/gif.latex?2x_{0}x-4y_{0}y+2z=2z_{0}+2x_{0}^2-4y_{0}^2[/URL]

but how can i find a point that tangent plane on the surface on this point is Horizontal ??
plaese help and sorry for my bad english

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Horizontal probably means parallel to the xy-plane therefore a constant z-plane. Your tangent plane equation will be a constant z plane if no x and y appear in the equation.

your purpose is ?[URL]http://latex.codecogs.com/gif.latex?\frac{\bigtriangledown%20f}{\left%20|%20\bigtriangledown%20f%20\right%20|}=(0,0,1)[/URL]

or not . pleaes explain more

Yes exactly.

thanks plaese help about this
find a point on surface z=xy+1 that Nearest point to (0,0,0) ?

Well, why can't you start it out? I presume you know how to write the distance from (x,y,z) to (0,0,0). You need to minimize that with the condition z= xy+ 1. Do you know how to use the "lagrange multiplier" method? If not you could try to use that equation to eliminate z from the distance formula and minimize as a function of two variables. By the way, since the derivative of [itex]\sqrt{f(x)}[/itex] is [itex]f'(x)/(2\sqrt{f(x)})[/itex], which is 0 if and only if f'(x) is 0, it is sufficient, and easier, to minimize the distance squared rather than the distance function.

distance from (x,y,z) to (0,0,0) is [URL]http://latex.codecogs.com/gif.latex?\sqrt{(x-0)^2+(y-0)^2+(z-0)^2}[/URL] your purpose is [URL]http://latex.codecogs.com/gif.latex?d=\sqrt{x^2+y^2+x^2y^2+2xy+1}[/URL] and then d'=0 but ratio to x and y then x=0 and y=0 and z=1 and the point =(0,0,1)

HallsofIvy said:
Well, why can't you start it out? I presume you know how to write the distance from (x,y,z) to (0,0,0). You need to minimize that with the condition z= xy+ 1. Do you know how to use the "lagrange multiplier" method? If not you could try to use that equation to eliminate z from the distance formula and minimize as a function of two variables. By the way, since the derivative of [itex]\sqrt{f(x)}[/itex] is [itex]f'(x)/(2\sqrt{f(x)})[/itex], which is 0 if and only if f'(x) is 0, it is sufficient, and easier, to minimize the distance squared rather than the distance function.

please help me more

The distance, squared, from (x,y,z) to (0, 0, 0) is [itex]x^2+ y^2+ z^2[/itex].

If you are on the surface z= xy+ 1, then the distance, squared, is [itex]x^2+ y^2+ (xy+ 1)^2[/itex].

Minimize that by setting the partial derivatives equal to 0.

(Mimizing f^2 is the same as minimizing f, as long as f is non-negative (and distance is always non-negative) because the derivative of f^2 is 2f f' . That will be 0 only if f= 0 or f'= 0. Obviously if f= 0 that is the lowest possible value of f^2.)

HallsofIvy said:
The distance, squared, from (x,y,z) to (0, 0, 0) is [itex]x^2+ y^2+ z^2[/itex].

If you are on the surface z= xy+ 1, then the distance, squared, is [itex]x^2+ y^2+ (xy+ 1)^2[/itex].

Minimize that by setting the partial derivatives equal to 0.

(Mimizing f^2 is the same as minimizing f, as long as f is non-negative (and distance is always non-negative) because the derivative of f^2 is 2f f' . That will be 0 only if f= 0 or f'= 0. Obviously if f= 0 that is the lowest possible value of f^2.)

then the nearest point is (0,0,1)

Yes, that is correct.

1. What is the equation of the tangent on a curve?

The equation of the tangent on a curve is a mathematical representation of the slope of the curve at a particular point. It can be calculated by finding the derivative of the curve at that point.

2. How is the equation of the tangent on a curve useful?

The equation of the tangent on a curve is useful in determining the instantaneous rate of change of the curve at a specific point. It can also be used to find the slope of a line that is tangent to the curve at that point.

3. Can the equation of the tangent on a curve be negative?

Yes, the equation of the tangent on a curve can be negative. This indicates that the slope of the curve at that point is decreasing.

4. Is the equation of the tangent on a curve the same as the derivative?

Yes, the equation of the tangent on a curve is the same as the derivative of the curve at a specific point. It represents the slope of the curve at that point.

5. How do I find the equation of the tangent on a curve?

To find the equation of the tangent on a curve, you will need to determine the derivative of the curve at a specific point and then substitute the x and y values of that point into the derivative equation. This will give you the slope of the tangent line, which can then be used to write the equation of the line in the form y = mx + b.