Equation of the tangent plane in R^4

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
david34
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Let [itex]f: \mathbb R^2 \to \mathbb R^2[/itex] given by [itex]f=(sin(x-y),cos(x+y))[/itex] : find the equation of the tangent plane to the graph of the function in [itex]\mathbb R^4[/itex] at [itex](\frac{\pi}{4}, \frac{\pi}{4}, 0 ,0 )[/itex] and then find a parametric representation of the equation of the tangent plane

What I did: the equation of the tangent plane from [itex]\mathbb R^2 \to \mathbb R^2[/itex] is given by

[itex]P(x,y)=f(x_0,y_0)+Df(x_0,y_0)\cdot (x-x_0,y-y_0)^T[/itex] where [itex]Df(x_0,y_0)[/itex] is the jacobian matrix of f at [itex](x_0,y_0)[/itex]computing this matrix and evaluating at the point [itex](\frac{\pi}{4}, \frac{\pi}{4})[/itex] yields

[tex]\begin{pmatrix} 1 & -1 \\ -1 & -1 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

we also have that [itex]f(x_0,y_0)= f(\frac{\pi}{4}, \frac{\pi}{4})=(0,0)[/itex] then we have that the equation of the tangent plane at [itex](\frac{\pi}{4}, \frac{\pi}{4}, 0 ,0 )[/itex] is:

[itex]P(x,y)= (x-y,-x-y+\frac{\pi}{2})[/itex]

but I don´t know if this is the correct approach; I also don´t know how to get the parametric representation of the tangent plane. I would really appreciate if you can help me with this problem :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're doing fine mostly but two things to note :
-You dropped the first two coordinates ; that's OK as long as you mean that as a shorthand notation but here it doesn't help. Points on the tangent plane (seen as a subset of ## R^4 ##) are of the form (x,y,P(x,y)), keeping P as you define it.
-This is already a parametric representation, x and y being the parameters. An equation would be something of the form f(x,y,P(x,y))=0. In this case it wiill be two equations, since that tangent plane is a 2d thing in 4d space.
Or maybe I misunderstood your question.