1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equations in Classical Mechanics

1. Jul 1, 2012 #1
    hi
    i am a bit confused watching lectures and reeding books i quite often come across dx/dt
    and i don't know what the "d" is. the full equation is F=ma which was rewritable as F=m*dx/dt
    many thanks for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2012 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds like you need to watch some lectures on Math. Calculus specifically. Of course to make sense of that you will need to be familiar with algebra.

Physics is a structure build on math. Without math you cannot do physics.

4. Jul 1, 2012 #3

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

also in your eqn I think you mean dv/dt not dx/dt where v means velocity.

5. Jul 1, 2012 #4
  6. Jul 1, 2012 #5
    what type of Calculus should i be looking at? Differential Calculus, Ap calculus, Lambda Calculus or another type (i only know a bit of Differential Calculus)
    Thanks

7. Jul 1, 2012 #6

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Start with differential calculus.

8. Jul 1, 2012 #7

Nugatory

9. Jul 1, 2012 #8

jedishrfu

in the video he was contrasting Aristotles law with Newton's law. InAristotle's world F=mv and F is a function of x but in Newton's it was F=ma. Aristotle believed that forces cause motion whereas Newton believed that forces cause acceleration.

10. Jul 1, 2012 #9
    what is x is it location?

11. Jul 1, 2012 #10

jedishrfu

thats a yes

12. Jul 2, 2012 #11
    thank you for your help :) it seams i have a bit of reading to do before i get back to the really interesting stuff

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook