1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equations of motion for a rotational system

1. Mar 3, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://postimg.org/image/9fw7awqov/
    The question is to write the Laplace transformed equations of motion for the system
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am confused about a couple of things: why is an angle is not defined for the rotation of J2. Does it means J2 does not have linearly independent motion?

And the fourth equation of motion (for the second J=0), I can understand the theta 4 term being due to the torques associated with it's motion but I don't get the other term.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2015 #2

OldEngr63

Gold Member

I think I would suggest that you start by ignoring the thetas as defined, and simply define absolute rotations, phi1, phi2, etc. for each body. Then write the equations of motion. At that point, you will be in a better position to back into the equations you gave previously in terms of theta1, theta2, etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted