Equations of Motion of a Solar Sail HELP

In summary, the conversation discusses the equations of motion for a solar sail and how they are derived. The equations take into account the forces of gravity and radiation pressure on the sail, as well as the tangential and radial velocities of the spacecraft. The factor of 2 in the tangential acceleration equation is determined to be a conversion from a different notation. The conversation also touches on the concept of photons carrying momentum and how this relates to the functioning of solar sails.
tomelwood

Homework Statement

I am reposting an edited version of this problem from a previous post of mine, due to it not being entirely relevant to that post, and also the question was asked after the thread had been replied to, so looks like an answered question. I also aim to give more detail here.

In the American Rocket Society Journal, number 29 page 422-427, there is an article which details, amongst other things, the equations of motion for a solar sail. I would like to know how these have been arrived at.

"Let us now consider a ship propelled by solar sail in interplanetary space. The forces acting on it are Fg (the sun's gravitational force) and Fs, the force due to radiation pressure on the sail, and is equal to pA (p=p0 cos^2θ (r0/r)^2 where p0 is solar radiation pressure on a normally reflecting surface at Earth orbit, r0 = 1AU; A is the area of the sail)
Space drag is not considered. We also neglect gravitational forces due to other planets.
Under the specified conditions, the equations of motion are:
(-Fg + Fs cos θ)/m = du/dt - v^2/r ; where u is radial velocity and v is tangential velocity (making v^2/r angular velocity?) and r is distance from Sun, and m is total mass of spacecraft
and
(-Fs sin θ)/m = dv/dt + uv/r"

I can't fathom how these have been arrived at. They appear to be resolving horizontally and vertically, but why is the radial component involved in the vertical resolution and vice versa?
Also, what is the value obtained my multiplying radial and tangential velocity?

Any hints/tips would be great, or links to other resources that explain the same thing.

Many thanks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
After further investigation, I have since discovered that these are just a fairly obscure way of writing tangential and radial accelerations.
However, tangential acceleration is given by Equation 286 on this page http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/301/lectures/node89.html
which upon conversion to the notation used in this article becomes:
dv/dt = 2uv/r

So where has the factor of 2 gone in the article?

tomelwood said:
After further investigation, I have since discovered that these are just a fairly obscure way of writing tangential and radial accelerations.
However, tangential acceleration is given by Equation 286 on this page http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/301/lectures/node89.html
which upon conversion to the notation used in this article becomes:
dv/dt = 2uv/r

So where has the factor of 2 gone in the article?
That equation has absolutely nothing to do with how solar sails work.

So, backing up a bit, let me try to answer, in part, your original question. I'm not going to give a complete answer (yet) because this looks a bit too much like homework. Besides, you can probably find a complete answer on the 'net with a little bit of searching. What I will do is provide an outline for the solution.

Even though photons are massless, they still carry energy and momentum. It is the momentum carried by photons that are the key to understanding how solar sails work. When a photon hits an object such as a solar sail, the photon will either be reflected or absorbed by the object. Reflection can be further sub-classified as specular (mirror-like) or diffuse (like a dull, matte finish). A good solar sail will reflect light rather than absorb it, and the reflection will be primarily specular. The equations of motion that you described assume 100% specular reflection.

When light is reflected by some object, the incoming photons will transfer their momentum to the object and the object will transfer some of its momentum back to the outgoing (reflected) photons. When light is reflected specularly, the angle of reflection is equal to the angle of incidence. The net momentum transfer is solely along the normal to the surface.

See if you can take it from here (and see if you can determine why the net momentum transfer is solely along the normal to the surface).

What is a solar sail?

A solar sail is a type of spacecraft propulsion technology that uses the radiation pressure from sunlight to propel a spacecraft in space. It consists of a large, thin, highly reflective sail that captures the momentum of photons from the sun to provide thrust.

How do equations of motion apply to a solar sail?

The equations of motion describe the movement of an object in space, including the forces acting on the object. In the case of a solar sail, these equations are used to calculate the acceleration and trajectory of the spacecraft based on the thrust generated by the sail and the gravitational forces from other celestial bodies.

What factors affect the equations of motion of a solar sail?

The equations of motion for a solar sail are influenced by various factors, including the size and shape of the sail, the angle of incidence of sunlight, the distance from the sun, and the gravitational forces from other objects in the solar system.

How are the equations of motion of a solar sail derived?

The equations of motion for a solar sail are derived from the principles of mechanics and the laws of motion, particularly Newton's second law of motion which states that force equals mass times acceleration. These equations are then modified to account for the unique characteristics of a solar sail, such as the radiation pressure from sunlight.

Why are the equations of motion important for designing a solar sail?

The equations of motion are crucial for designing and predicting the performance of a solar sail. They allow scientists and engineers to determine the optimal size, shape, and orientation of the sail to achieve the desired trajectory and maximize the thrust generated by the sail. These equations also help to ensure the safety and stability of the spacecraft during its journey through space.