1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equations of motion the conditions

1. Jul 5, 2010 #1
    Equations of motion!!! the conditions plzzz

What are the conditions that enable the equations of motion to be used except from the fact that acceleration must be uniform ???

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2010 #2
    Re: Equations of motion!!! the conditions plzzz

Small velocities compared to the speed of light and an inertial frame.

4. Jul 5, 2010 #3

Inertial frame ??? meaning wat ?

5. Jul 5, 2010 #4

Not rotating

6. Jul 5, 2010 #5

Uniform acceleration compensate the rotating phenomenon as well i think !!

7. Jul 5, 2010 #6
  8. Jul 5, 2010 #7

If you sit in a train travelling at steady speed (inertial frame) and toss a ball to a friend he can catch it - no problem.

If you both are on a ship in a storm, wildly, suddenly changing direction OR you both sit on a children's 'roundabout' while it's spinning (both non-inertial frames) you will find it nearly impossible. The laws of motion for the non-inertial frame will be different from those you are used to.

You may be able to compensate by adding in some complicated motion of your own - but that isn't the point.

9. Jul 5, 2010 #8

@OP:

I think you meant to ask about initial conditions. You still need to know the initial position and the initial velocity of the particle.

10. Jul 5, 2010 #9

ya thats wat i meant the initial conditions :S.. just like acceleration should be uniform, many questions ask too but the other one that speed must be less than speed of light is too obvious else the matter will disintegrate :S

11. Jul 5, 2010 #10

No,what I meant is that the velocity of the object must be significantly smaller then the velocity of light for the Newtonian equations of motion to work. At velocities that are a significant fraction of c, those equations do not work due to relativistic effects.There is also no reason for matter to disintegrate at speeds close to c.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  12. Jul 5, 2010 #11

No he didn't (now he thinks he does!) He barely speaks English - doesn't understand what you mean - you just confused him.

13. Jul 5, 2010 #12

Lol, I confused him and not you with talks about non-inertial reference frames and speed of light.

14. Jul 5, 2010 #13

Look to see who's saying what before you post. I never mentioned either except to explain in detail what a non-inertial frame is.

15. Jul 5, 2010 #14

:rofl:
    I am sorry If I confused him. I consider that position and velocity are info necessary to using the equations not something that restrains their validity.That is what I thought he was asking.

Yeah blame poor old bp.

16. Jul 5, 2010 #15

Who asked you to explain anything? You assumed that this is the question he was asking and proceeded with your own answer. This is the same thing I did. So, please, don't tell me what he meant or he didn't mean.

17. Jul 5, 2010 #16

And I quote. From the OP.

Inertial frame ??? meaning wat ?

To which I answered 'not rotating'

Simple question and direct answer.

18. Jul 5, 2010 #17

Do you mean the original poster or the original post when you say OP? It is obvious he was confused as hell by that point so he used 'wat'.

Also, your answer is not correct, but that's not the topic of discussion in this thread

19. Jul 5, 2010 #18

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

But he only asked that in response to bp-psy's response
    "Small velocities compared to the speed of light and an inertial frame."
    to a question that asked only about the "equations of motion" and said nothing about relativity.

20. Jul 5, 2010 #19

He said nothing about relativity but he didn't specifically asked to ignore it.I think that my answer was valid considering how the question was formulated. Anyway feel free to delete all posts up to the op since I see this thread got ugly.

21. Jul 5, 2010 #20

Jeekeshan let me try to summarise.There are equations of linear motion and also equations of circular motion.The two sets of equations are analogous.I am assuming that you are referring to linear motion.The conditions necessary to use these equations is that the object must be moving in a straight line with uniform acceleration but I think you already know this.The equations break down as light speeds are approached so this places some limitations on their use.With equations of linear motion there are five quantities which are relevant and these are often given the symbols u,v,a,t and s.The symbols you use may be different.In order to solve a problem you need to be given three of the five quantities.Strangely,identifying what three quantities are given sometimes proves to be the most difficult part of the problem.First you need to identify the given quantities then select the right equation(s) to find the unknown(s) and then plug the numbers in.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook