1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equations with Newton's Second Law of Motion

1. Nov 6, 2011 #1
    Hi, I really need some help on these homework problems. Sorry I couldnt paste the pictures in but please help me!

1) When a 58 gram ball is served, it accelerates from rest to a speed of 45 m/s. The impact with the racket gives the ball a constant acceleration over a distance of 44 cm. What is the magnitude of the average net force acting on the ball?

2) Only two forces act on an object (mass=4.0 kg). Find the magnitude and the direction (relative to the x-axis) of the acceleration of the object. The picture depicts a box with a central angle, the "y-axis" vector is 60.0 N and the "x-axis" vector is 40.0 N.

3) Two forces, F1 and F2, act on the 5.00 kg block. The magnitude of the forces are F1=45.0 N and F2=25.0 N. What is the horizontal acceleration (magnitude and direction) of the block. The picture depicts a box and on the upper left hand corner F1 vector is coming down, creating a 65° angle. F2 vector is going into the middle of the right side.

4) Only two forces act on an object (mass=3.00 kg). Find the magnitude and direction (relative to the x-axis) of the acceleration of the object. The picture depicts a box with 45° angle placed in the middle. The x vector is 40. 0 N and the y vector is 60.0 N.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2011 #2
    Where did you start with these? You can't help if we don't know where you are getting stuck.

4. Nov 6, 2011 #3
    In #1 I do not understand how to find the acceleration so that I can find the net force. In questions 2-4 I do jot understand what to dk with the vectors

5. Nov 6, 2011 #4
    Lets go 1 at a time.

In number 1, what givens do you have?

6. Nov 6, 2011 #5
    The ball is 58 g it accelerates to 45 m/s2 and it accelerates continuously over 44m

7. Nov 6, 2011 #6
    44 cm

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook