Equilibrium and displacement of a Particle

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
14 replies · 6K views
rico22
Messages
51
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The springs AB and BC have stiffness k and an unstretched length of l. Determine the
displacement d of the cord from the wall when a force F is applied to the cord. See Picture attached.

Given:
l = 3 m
k = 600 N/m
F = 200 N


Homework Equations


Fspring= ks

s= l - l0

ƩF=0


The Attempt at a Solution


The force of the spring is 600(s) and I know that s = length of spring stretched - length unstretched. So for the sum of forces in the x direction I get 2(600)(s)[d/√(d2+1.52)] = 200... I divide both sides by 2 and get (600)(s)[d/√(d2+1.52)] = 100...

from here I know that I can get s from equation above thus it becomes 600[√(d2+1.52) - 1.5][d/√(d2+1.52)] = 100... but I don't know what else to do from here... any replies would be greatly appreciated.
 
Attachments
  • springs.PNG
    springs.PNG
    7 KB · Views: 1,058
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what the answer is supposed to be? When I work it out, I get d=0.16667m.

I think you are addressing the forces in the x direction incorrectly. If you look at the force exerted on the spring, you can think about it as stretching the spring a distance d in the x direction while also stretching the spring l/2 in the y direction.

When you look at it like this, then the force due to one spring in the x direction is Fs=(k)(d). And since you have two springs the forces in the x direction should look like this:

200=2(k)(d)

Solve for d.

I don't know why you're using the term [d/√(d2+1.52)]



(someone please correct me if I'm way off on this)
 
Last edited:
jldibble is right

rico22 said:
The force of the spring is 600(s)
I think you got your idea wrong when you said the force of the spring is 600.
 
the force of the spring is k(s)... k=600 is given, and I know s = l - l0; therefore Fspring=600(l-l0).

l0 is also given and equals 1.5m so the equation becomes 600(l - 1.5). Looking at the triangle the two springs create with the wall we can deduce that l (length of the stretched spring) is going to be equal to √(d2+1.52) if we split it into 2 right triangles and from the Pythagorean theorem.

So putting all this together Fspring=600[√(d2+1.52) - 1.5].

Now if we were to break it down into its x and y components:
ƩFx=0: Fspring[d/√(d2+1.52) + Fspring[d/√(d2+1.52) - 200 = 0

the √(d2+1.52) would be the equivalent of cosθ.

ƩFy=0: Fspring[1.5/√(d2+1.52) - Fspring[1.5/√(d2+1.52).

My issue is when I solve for d... I guess I might have to do trial and error.
 
jldibble said:
Do you know what the answer is supposed to be? When I work it out, I get d=0.16667m.

QUOTE]

the correct answer is d= 0.997
 
right I know how to set up the problem... but once I try to solve for d the algebra just throws me off.
 
rico22 said:
the force of the spring is k(s)... k=600 is given, and I know s = l - l0; therefore Fspring=600(l-l0).

l0 is also given and equals 1.5m so the equation becomes 600(l - 1.5).
The original post said that the unstretched length of a spring is l (lower case L). But l is given as 3m. Why are you using l/2 for the unstretched length?
 
gneill said:
The original post said that the unstretched length of a spring is l (lower case L). But l is given as 3m. Why are you using l/2 for the unstretched length?
I think it's a typo (or just very poorly worded) since the attached drawing, which seems to have been copied directly from the text, shows their combined unstretched length as l and it's consistent with the solution given.

rico22 said:
right I know how to set up the problem... but once I try to solve for d the algebra just throws me off.
I doubt you're supposed to solve it analytically. Approximate the solution by making an inital guess and iterate.
 
milesyoung said:
I think it's a typo (or just very poorly worded) since the attached drawing, which seems to have been copied directly from the text, shows their combined unstretched length as l and it's consistent with the solution given.
I'd have to side with it being a typo, since the diagram does not actually imply that the unstretched length is l/2 (although it is tempting to believe so for convenience sake!). The initial configuration could have the unstretched springs form an equilateral triangle with the wall.
 
gneill said:
I'd have to side with it being a typo, since the diagram does not actually imply that the unstretched length is l/2 (although it is tempting to believe so for convenience sake!). The initial configuration could have the unstretched springs form an equilateral triangle with the wall.

Yes, you're right. I assumed too much based on the appearance of the sketch.
 
yeah sorry i worded the problem wrong...still, thank you for all the replies...ill do a better job next time.
 
original length of each spring = l0/2

extended length of each spring = [itex]\sqrt{d^2+(l_0/2)^2}[/itex]

tensile force in each spring = [itex]k(\sqrt{d^2+(l_0/2)^2}-(l_0/2))[/itex]

horizontal component of tensile force in each spring = [itex]k(\sqrt{d^2+(l_0/2)^2}-(l_0/2))\frac{d}{\sqrt{d^2+(l_0/2)^2}}=kd(1-\frac{(l_0/2)}{\sqrt{d^2+(l_0/2)^2}})[/itex]

sum of horizontal components of tensile force from springs = [itex]2kd(1-\frac{(l_0/2)}{\sqrt{d^2+(l_0/2)^2}})[/itex]

[itex]F=2kd(1-\frac{(l_0/2)}{\sqrt{d^2+(l_0/2)^2}})=2kd(1-\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+(\frac{2d}{l_0})^2}} )[/itex]

The solution to this equation for d is 0.997 m.
 
Last edited: