Equilibrium concentration question

In summary, FeSCN will be formed regardless of Cl- being present, with a high enough Fe3+ concentration, all that SCN is going to get used up with no help of Cl-.
Latsabb
It has been a bit since I took chemistry, but I have been wondering something, and can't seem to remember. Let's say that I have the following:

Fe3+ + SCN- <-> FeSCN2+

How can I calculate the point where Fe3+ concentrations become effectively zero? That would say, if I know that I have 1M Fe3+ in a solution, and I plan to add SCN- in large amounts to put pressure on the left side, forcing the reaction to the right, how can I calculate the concentration of SCN- needed to make the Fe3+ run out?

Thanks in advance.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Define "effectively zero".

Fe3+/SCN- is a particularly difficult case, as there are six consecutive equilibria involved.

Even for huge excess of SCN- you can expect concentrations of Fe3+ (actually some hydrated forms) to be present. In 0.01M FeCl3 with 1 M KSCN (so a hundredfold excess of the ligand), concentration of Fe3+ is in the 10-9 M range.

Basically, the reason I am asking is due to a question that was asked of me by someone. They are trying to determine the concentration of Cl- in a solution by using Hg(SCN)2, with Fe(NO3)3 added into the mix. He told me that the professor stated that Fe was present in "large amounts."

So I pointed out that since FeSCN will be formed regardless of Cl- being present, with a high enough Fe3+ concentration, all that SCN is going to get used up with no help of Cl-. (The Hg binding to Cl drives the reaction further to the right, but if high concentrations of Fe3+ is there, eventually the Cl- won't drive the equation anymore)

He then asked me what sort of concentration would be needed for that. And so here I am.

Not enough data for a reasonable answer. Without seeing what the initial concentrations are it is not clear what can happen.

Ok, well if we have the two following:
Cl-(aq) + Hg(SCN)2(aq) <-> HgCl2(aq) +2SCN-(aq)

SCN- (aq) + Fe3+ <-> Fe(SCN)2+

This is how it was presented to me. It caught my eye that the end reaction doesn't use Cl at all. Being that Hg(SCN)2 is listed as aq, and he confirmed that there is no solid present, this tells me that A) the top reaction shouldn't even be in an equilibrium, as all of the Hg(SCN)2 should be broken up into ions to begin with. (if memory served correctly) And B) "large amounts" of Fe3+ seems to me like it would drive the right side of the top equation to exhaustion no matter what in an equilibrium. And since they are measuring the absorbance of the Fe(SCN)2+ complex, it seemed like an odd way of testing for Cl.

Latsabb said:
It caught my eye that the end reaction doesn't use Cl at all

Any reason why it should?

this tells me that A) the top reaction shouldn't even be in an equilibrium

It definitely is.

all of the Hg(SCN)2 should be broken up into ions to begin with

No, SCN- is a ligand and it complexes dissolved mercury, this happens in parallel to precipitation. Which process dominates depends on the concentrations. Not knowing them we won't get top any conclusions.

"large amounts" of Fe3+ seems to me like it would drive the right side of the top equation to exhaustion

That's not how the equilibrium works.

Can't say I understand the idea behind the procedure you described, and not knowing expected/used concentrations of all ions involved it is impossible to say what is happening in the solution, but your analysis doesn't look correct to me.

1. What is equilibrium concentration?

Equilibrium concentration refers to the concentration of reactants and products in a chemical reaction once the reaction has reached a state of equilibrium. This means that the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction, and the concentrations of all substances involved remain constant.

2. How is equilibrium concentration calculated?

The equilibrium concentration of a substance can be calculated using the equilibrium constant (K) and the initial concentrations of reactants and products. The equation for calculating equilibrium concentration depends on the specific chemical reaction and the stoichiometry of the reaction.

3. What factors can affect equilibrium concentration?

Several factors can affect equilibrium concentration, including temperature, pressure, and initial concentrations of reactants and products. Changes in these factors can shift the position of the equilibrium and therefore change the equilibrium concentration of substances involved in the reaction.

4. How does Le Chatelier's principle relate to equilibrium concentration?

Le Chatelier's principle states that when a stress is applied to a system at equilibrium, the system will shift in a way that minimizes the effect of the stress. This means that if the equilibrium concentration of a substance is changed by a factor such as temperature or pressure, the system will shift to restore the equilibrium concentration.

5. Why is understanding equilibrium concentration important in chemistry?

Understanding equilibrium concentration is crucial in chemistry because it allows us to predict the direction and extent of a chemical reaction. It also helps us to optimize reaction conditions to achieve desired products or yields. In addition, it is essential for many industrial processes, such as the production of chemicals and pharmaceuticals.